"Frozen" theme tank build journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
For my nieces' birthday I'm building a Frozen themed betta tank. This will be my first non-natural tank, and I'm trying to build something as low maintenance as I can.

Equipment
10 gallon standard glass aquarium
Marineland LED hood
Aquaclear 20 filter
Hydor 50W submersible heater
Exciting snow themed decor
CaribSea white sand

Prospective stock
Half moon betta
Corydoras habrosus x 3
Nerite snail

I'm beginning the build by painting a snow scene background with acrylics on the exterior of the tank. Hopefully this week I'll have the stand assembled and can move forward with cycling. Should be quick since I have a currently running Aquaclear 20 that I can grab a sponge from.

Not sure where I want to source my betta from yet, I may try to find a local supplier. I think I want a blue with butterfly (I believe that's the name for the white-edged fins).

Here's pics of the in progress and finished background:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427681079.515732.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427681167.634728.jpg

I am really liking the paint job you did on it

You can find some really really nice bettas on Aquabid

fwbettashm1427793001.jpg

AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettashm1427793001 - ooo PATTERN ooo BLUE ooo PASTEL ooo 17FEB40 ooo - Ends: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 04:10:01 AM CDT

I use the Carib sea white sand ... Really like it, and find it low maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

+1 on a few more corys

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not a big fan of Frozen but that's a pretty awesome background! As others said I would bump up the cories. Like said AquaBid has tons of bettas to choose from.

Did some snooping on Amazon:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427710750.719403.jpg

This tank is going to be totally cool for a kids tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe 5 or 6 cories instead of 3? Trying to keep a nice low bio-load.

Glad to hear others have used the Carib Sea sand and liked it! It was pricey, but I think the real white will look best. : ) I did find the Frozen ice castle on EBay and ordered it already. No Olaf though! I can only bring myself to do so much direct theme work...

I'm a little nervous about ordering off of Aquabid for this project since I'm already constructing a tank that is nothing like things I've done before. One of my LFS has quite a few nice import bettas, and I know there's some local breeders as well that I may try contacting. The set up has also been costing me quite a bit more than I hoped since I've gotten everything new! So I'm hoping I can spend less than the $40-$60 for the betta. Haha, it would be sad to buy a nicer betta than what I've got (Petsmart special!) for my nieces!

6 cories should be fine. And this is looking like a great tank, love the background.

Following along!
This is looking really good :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

If you get cory's.. get the dwarf sized ones... 6 normal cory in a 10g SMH.....

I know neons are simple fish but they have got that bright blue neon color that might add to the tank.. That or an electric blue ram lol but then Im partial to those electric blue rams lol

If you get cory's.. get the dwarf sized ones... 6 normal cory in a 10g SMH.....

I know neons are simple fish but they have got that bright blue neon color that might add to the tank.. That or an electric blue ram lol but then Im partial to those electric blue rams lol

I love that you shake your head at 6 corys in a 10g tank but then suggest a super sensitive fish that tends to be nippy in a far too small tank with a betta which are prone to getting picked on.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having 6 normal corys and a betta together in a 10g tank.

Fwiw - AQadvisor
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Every Betta is different. I had one that attacked and killed Cories. I do think full sized Cories would be pushing it. Even AquAdvisor said 6 Peppereds and a Betta was 111% that is overstocked.

Peppereds can get quite large. I've seen older females pushing 3".

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I prefer to recommend under stocking and lots of plants.

For this Frozen tank, watch out for sharp edges that might tear a Betta's fins.

I love that you shake your head at 6 corys in a 10g tank but then suggest a super sensitive fish that tends to be nippy in a far too small tank with a betta which are prone to getting picked on.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having 6 normal corys and a betta together in a 10g tank.

Fwiw - AQadvisor
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I never said get a betta with it where did I say that ?? .. I said simply to get a electric blue ram.. and they aren't as sensitive as you might think lol I have 4 of them among the regular german blues, they require higher temps, but the higher nitrate myth is bogus mine do just fine in nitrates of 20-40ppm..

Aqua advisor is for noobs.. I have personal experience with these fish I don't go by a program.. Cory cats if you don't get the tiny versions get big... my 2 panda cory cats are 2 inches long.. my emerald greens one are 2 inches. my spotted cory in my 55g is almost 3 inches hes huge actually.. Ill take a pic of him if you want ? And a 10g tank doesn't have much bottom for 6 2 inch cory cats

Also FYI I had a red betta together with a electric blue ram in a 5.5G tank and they did just fine together for the months I had them in there before I moved the ram and got more of them, that was him in that tank and with blue rocks and blue leds I had a blue themed tank... See the red betta in the background ??? What are ya going to say now ? I just have an affinity for these rams, and they aren't as sensitive as you think they are. Perhaps for his/her neice the ram is too much and I was wrong there but I will defend myself over your attack with the betta comment because I have had them together with bettas.. I have 4 beta's and I haven't had a agreesive one yet.. when you first introduce a new fish with them yea they flare up and chase.. but after awhile they are fine together

img_3195124_0_ec586c2f17194a891d6830ff280832fb.jpg

I never said get a betta with it where did I say that ??

Well, with the tank plans currently including a betta, it would surmise that any suggestion you would give would be an addition to the betta. See below
Prospective stock
Half moon betta
Corydoras habrosus x 3
Nerite snail

candymancan said:
I said simply to get a electric blue ram.. and they aren't as sensitive as you might think lol I have 4 of them among the regular german blues, they require higher temps, but the higher nitrate myth is bogus mine do just fine in nitrates of 20-40ppm..

Fish develop reputations for being sensitive for a good reason. German rams, particularly the electric kind have become soo inbred that their immune systems are shot. They get sick and die very easily. Ask any experienced aquarist this and they will agree with that fact. Perhaps you have become lucky with your source of rams like I have. The ones I have access to are from a local breeder and are very hardy compared to most.

Even though the ones I have access to now are very hardy, I don't go around stating that all of them are not sensitive fish. Most of them that people have access to are mass bred and enhanced with hormones before being shipped overseas.

candymancan said:
Aqua advisor is for noobs.. I have personal experience with these fish I don't go by a program.. Cory cats if you don't get the tiny versions get big... my 2 panda cory cats are 2 inches long.. my emerald greens one are 2 inches. my spotted cory in my 55g is almost 3 inches hes huge actually.. Ill take a pic of him if you want ? And a 10g tank doesn't have much bottom for 6 2 inch cory cats

Couldn't care less to see a pic of your fish tbh. AqAdvisor is absolutely for people that are trying to get a handle on tank sticking. Which is EXACTLY why I posted it. Maybe you should try it out sometime to check the stocking of your tanks, it might give some insight.

I've debated the tank size for cory cats with many many people and have yet to see a reasonable rebuttal to my explanation of tank size for them.

Most fish require lots of lateral swimming space. Take discus for example, when you stick them into a tank less than 4ft long they tend to get stressed out. The same goes for rainbows and many other fish when they don't have enough lateral swimming room. You can see these fish pace back and forth in their too small tanks.

Corys have a different behavior on the other hand. Their movement is random as they just root through the substrate. They don't care about the lateral swimming space.

The cult following of cory cats insisting that they need a 30g minimum is due largely in part to their cult following. There's a dozen other fish that get to be 2" long that do use the lateral swimming space yet are regarded as perfectly fine for a 10g tank.

candymancan said:
Also FYI I had a red betta together with a electric blue ram in a 5.5G tank and they did just fine together for the months I had them in there before I moved the ram and got more of them, that was him in that tank and with blue rocks and blue leds I had a blue themed tank... See the red betta in the background ??? What are ya going to say now ?

That you got lucky and fish have different personalities. This rarely holds true for everyone. Also, really? childish statement much?

candymancan said:
I just have an affinity for these rams, and they aren't as sensitive as you think they are. Perhaps for his/her neice the ram is too much and I was wrong there but I will defend myself over your attack with the betta comment because I have had them together with bettas.. I have 4 beta's and I haven't had a agreesive one yet.. when you first introduce a new fish with them yea they flare up and chase.. but after awhile they are fine together

My statement was about the rams being aggressive towards the betta. Rams can be nippy and bettas tend to get nipped.

9/10 they'd rip each other apart or get very sick. Not a good suggestion. And let's not forget this is for a kid...........easy fish necessary.

29g Community

3g Betta

This is pretty cool!
As for candymancan he is not giving great advise, however the Rams I keep (local breeder)
Have never see unexplainably and a couple of them are 2 1/2 years old, and still spawning regularly,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please be my aunt? :) Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom