Frustrating Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys new to the forum,
I've had my tank set up for about 4-5 months and pretty much the whole time I've had algae problems. Started off with brown diatoms on plants, tank wall, everything ect. Then I upgrade from LED strip to, One 50W 6.5K Led floodlight + the led light strip thing. Then I started getting green algae, as show in back of picture
I don't think The issue is water quality
Or excessive window light,(unless 2hours of it)
Pls help

Can you post a pic of your light, if it's florescent you will get algae, also 2 hours of direct sunlight will promote Algae growth, do you have an algae eater? I'll show you my led fixture, I don't have algae issues Matter of fact I have to feed algae wafers to my bristle nose. Btw no pictures are showing up in your post if you're attaching them

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1471266468049.jpg
    1471266468049.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1471266492011.jpg
    1471266492011.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 36
Hey guys new to the forum,

I've had my tank set up for about 4-5 months and pretty much the whole time I've had algae problems. Started off with brown diatoms on plants, tank wall, everything ect. Then I upgrade from LED strip to, One 50W 6.5K Led floodlight + the led light strip thing. Then I started getting green algae, as show in back of picture

I don't think The issue is water quality

Or excessive window light,(unless 2hours of it)

Pls help

Hello.

This is an easy one. If you do not have enough co2 and nutrients for your plants to grow but have lots of light and organic waste build up you will grow algae.

Diatoms are just a normal part of a new tank and they diminish after a while. After those had run their course you might have been fine and had success growing plants but the new light fixture has exposed the fact that there is not enough co2.

This leaves you with three options.

1. Reduce the light intensity
2. Increase the carbon content
3. Continue to scrub the tank clean of algae every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom