Fry and water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve2223

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gal w/ 30-40 week old angel and GBRams. How can I draw the water out with out sucking up the fry? They are everywhere and chase anything that moves.

Maybe a turkey baster with cheese cloth or something similar over the end for stop any fry from being sucked up?

If you had a hob i was going to say just take the water from that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I did this back in the day, I would siphon as regular with the end tube going into a net, with the 5 gallon bucket underneath. I would do it as quickly as possible to limit the stress, and any that got sucked up went into the net. When I finished vacuuming, I simply returned them to the tank since they all landed in the net. Siphons usually have a lower end water flow so they didnt get hurt, but I still didnt like doing it. It was the only way I could think of at the time.

Recently I did something similar at work. I used an old net and cut out the mesh, then I affixed it to the end of the vacuum with a rubber band. It wasnt as effective at getting the larger debris, but it didnt suck up any of the babies either. The finer dirt particles got sucked up no problem and I just have to clean the tank more often.

Put airstone on the end of air lines. You can hang the stone into the water, start the siphon, and let it go. Takes forever, but thas by far the safest way.

For larger fry, just get a filter media bag and rubber band it over the top of the siphon

Back
Top Bottom