Fry food clogging filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have tiger endlers, and I have been giving them Hikari First Bites and Pure Aquatic Fry food. When I did a water change today, the bio-wheel had slowed down, and this usually means a filter cleaning is due. I found GOBS of light colored stuff in the tubing and the filter, even in the housing on my Penguin filter. Couldn't figure out what the heck it was. Then I realized it was the fry food. It's so powdery. I've not been turning my filter off when feeding the fry, so I guess that's what I should be doing (?) It was so bad that I hate feeding that stuff again. I don't overfeed, but it sinks to the ground so quickly that the fry have trouble getting it all. The filter takes a bit of work to get it going again, as the bio-wheel takes its sweet time, so that's why I haven't been shutting it off. Any suggestions? Can I just feed them crumbled NLS flakes and spirulina flakes instead? I also have small fish formula from NLS, but I can't find baby brine shrimp (frozen) anywhere right now. I also feed daphnia twice a week.

Def turn off the filter when you feed fry food. Also, you should add a little bit into a separate container with some tank water and shake it really hard so the fry food can sink properly when you pour it into your main tank. Too much gunk clogging your filter means you're overfeeding and you should cut back or else risk polluting the water. Fry don't eat that much and if you have live plants they will browse on the microorganisms living in the plants and on mosses etc.

To seaecho

Hi seaecho:

You could attach a pre-filter sponge to the intake tube of your filter. It would help catch some (if not all) of the fry food. During maintenance you would just remove the sponge and squeeze it gently in some old tank water to clean it.

-Yorg

I have tiger endlers, and I have been giving them Hikari First Bites and Pure Aquatic Fry food. When I did a water change today, the bio-wheel had slowed down, and this usually means a filter cleaning is due. I found GOBS of light colored stuff in the tubing and the filter, even in the housing on my Penguin filter. Couldn't figure out what the heck it was. Then I realized it was the fry food. It's so powdery. I've not been turning my filter off when feeding the fry, so I guess that's what I should be doing (?) It was so bad that I hate feeding that stuff again. I don't overfeed, but it sinks to the ground so quickly that the fry have trouble getting it all. The filter takes a bit of work to get it going again, as the bio-wheel takes its sweet time, so that's why I haven't been shutting it off. Any suggestions? Can I just feed them crumbled NLS flakes and spirulina flakes instead? I also have small fish formula from NLS, but I can't find baby brine shrimp (frozen) anywhere right now. I also feed daphnia twice a week.

Thanks, you guys. I do have a fre-filter sponge. I just haven't been using it, as it causes the bio-wheel to slow down, and often stop. I'll give it a try again. I will also start unplugging the filter when feeding.

Back
Top Bottom