Fry Survival Question - Better Odds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want my fry to survive naturally. That means I won't be be putting them in a separated tank or breeder. The question I have is whether they will have a better chance of survival with a crayfish or with the other Platies. I think I know the answer to this already.

I would certainly say platies. IME, fry hang near the bottom - crayfish territory. If you feed the adult platies well, you might a few survivors.

Apparently I did not know the answer if you are correct. I was thinking, even though they are small, the crayfish would be too large to effectively chase them around. I haven't seen how quick a crayfish can be, as mine moves around relatively slow. Even his bursts of speeds seem less than impressive, except when he is running away to hide.

i would also say platies. i have some molly fry in a breeder. it's a 10 gal. tank with an african dwarf frog and a baby raph cat. i tried taking them out of the breeder last weekend.

i knew the raph cat wouldn't bother them, but the frog saw them as lunch. it wouldn't be a problem as the fry are faster than the frog, but the babies didn't know to be afraid of the frog. they would get in his face and he would move closer and closer. he would have definately eaten them, so back in the breeder they went.

so i would say go with the platys, they would know to stay away from the big fish, but they might investigate the cray fish.

Back
Top Bottom