Fun Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonata

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon tank.
In my 50 years of fish keeping, I have always tried to make my tanks look natural with live plants, rock, driftwood, etc.
Now, for my grandchildren, I have created a fun tank.
Neon gravel in every colour of the rainbow
Plastic plants ( outrageous colours & shapes )
a clam that bubbles
a bubble wand covering much of the tank
etc.
I never considered stocking it with anything but goldfish.
Now a member said I should go tropical once more.
I really don't want a community tank.
Can anyone think of a tropical ( one species ) that may look great in this fun, crazy tank like this ?

U might try like glofish because of its glowing colour. They are tropical and colourful.

Gilbert

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't know about the severum. You're right. They are pretty & big, but not really something that would catch a child's eye.

Can you tell I am a proud Grampy ? :)

The goldfish was my original idea. I think the kids would like seeing them grow & how they wiggle around the tank. :)

However, I am still open to suggestions from the tropical area.

I love angelfish, but the tank would be too turbulent for them & they would have very few hiding places.

Ideas anyone ?

Thanks Caleb & Gilbert for your suggestions.

I got it! Dojo loaches!!!!! They are cold water fish so need for a heater and are the most interactive hilarious fish I have! You could do 3-4 in that tank.

Mine are hilarious and eat straight from my hand. My little cousins love feeding them when they come over.

They are very active and hardy fish.

Edit: no need to worry about turbulence with these guys they love currents.
Caleb

I think fishesintank is referring to glofish not goldfish. They are the fish that glow under blacklight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You did say glowfish. My mistake. They are beautiful ! I'd never heard of them. I had to google to see what they look like. I don't know if I can find them in my lps. I'll have to look into it. Thanks

I understand that glofish just are shiny versions of their generic counterparts. Really doubt I'll find them here, but I'll look for sure.

The idea of schooling fish had also entered my mind, but most are so small you have too get many of them &, where I live, that is not cheap.

Glofish are actually genetically modified with jellyfish DNA to glow almost like a glow stick under a black light.

It's 100% humane for the fish and there are a growing number of types out there nowadays.

Danios are the most common
I've seen tiger barbs and tetras
I've heard of glow angels.

Chain LFSs will carry them quite often. I also see them in department stores.

Ha! This is the one and only time I will suggest a blood parrot.
Kids think they are cute
Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ha! This is the one and only time I will suggest a blood parrot.
Kids think they are cute

Don't lie.. you think they're cute mike.. those big doting eyes and slack jaw gaze:D

Blood parrot eh ? I told you I have tried almost every fish under the sun, including parrot fish.
What do you have against the poor babies ? :(
I too, think they are really on the top of your list. :) You just protest too much. :)

We have a few stores here, the main one beginning with the word Pet. I don't know whether they would have glofish or not.

We have a few pet stores here, the main one being PetSmart. I don't know whether they would have glofish or not.

If anywhere is going to have glofish it is a big box store beginning in pet.
IMHO- glofish are so lame... I'd opt for a goofy hybrid over those little hippie throwbacks any day (love the dead...) they're obnoxious breeds that glow in the dark.. like its hard to.observe zebra danios in they're natural dress?

Last edited:
How about some smaller fish like Cardinal tetras, maybe mixed with some Silver Dollars. They always seems to have kids staring at them at the big box pet stores.

Edit: Also German Blue Rams tend to draw my kids' attention.

Don't lie.. you think they're cute mike.. those big doting eyes and slack jaw gaze:D

Blood parrot eh ? I told you I have tried almost every fish under the sun, including parrot fish.
What do you have against the poor babies ? :(
I too, think they are really on the top of your list. :) You just protest too much. :)

Hush you two. In all honesty they are quite interactive.

Hush you two. In all honesty they are quite interactive.

Deep down inside Mike loves hybrids :)

Parrots live a long time as well. I heard of a guy locally that had one for 16 years.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom