Fungus in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venturer4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am putting this here because I could not figure out where else to put it.

ok, so long story short, I believe that I have fungus in my tap water due to insistent outbreaks in mine, my roomates, and other people-who-live-in-my-building's tanks.

We all use various water conditioners (I use API's stress coat), and nothing seems to help. I have treated my tank multiple times with a combo of metafix and pimafix (I know melafix is for bacteria, but I was trying to play on the safe side), which solves the issue, but then when I do a water change, it comes right back in a few days. Same goes for the rest of the people with tanks in my building.

My tank was incredibly healthy before the outbreak. All of my parameters were perfect/kept perfect, albeit I have a low PH, but all of my fish have done fine in it for years (mainly in other tanks). My tank is a 10 gallon planted community tank that I take back and forth with me to college. The outbreak started when I came back from summer break for the fall semester and started using this building's tap water (and no, I do not believe the stress caused it, as I have transported this tank with no issues 3 times in the past).

My issue is, what can I do about my water situation. I can not use the tap (unless someone has a solution for it. (would boiling work possibly?)), making my only option to buy water, which I have heard that bottled spring water does not have the minerals and nutrients that the fish need.

So does anyone have any experience with this issue or any advice?

I find it hard to believe that a fungus would be contained in tap water. The chlorine in the tap alone should take care of it.

Could it possibly be columnaris?
Could you post a few pictures of the issue?
What are your water parameters?
What is your water change schedule?

In any case if it is a fungus actually in your water supply there are more issues than just your fish tank. But boiling would definitely take care of it.

Boil the water, let it cool and pwc after 24hours. If it is a fungus in the water ( never heard of it but hey ) then that should take care of it. Trial it for a week or two. See what happens. :)

You might want to get the water company to come and test the water. Most cities and towns will test water if there's a problem.

I can't imagine there'd be fungus in tap water, unless there is some sort of contamination in the building's own the water system, and if so, there is more to worry over than the fish tanks.

Ya, I know, I have stopped using the water for anything. I have complained to my college, but they will not do anything. Unfortunately, I tried to get pics while everything was going on, but I did not get too many good ones, and most of my fish died while I was out of the state. I added on pic of my male american flag fish when he was sick a few days before he died. He was the only one I was around for. But my roommate described it as white fluffy stuff. I treated for both fungal and bacteria anyways though.

I also attached a pic of the tank now. It still has white stuff attached to the hair algae that was growing on the driftwood on the right with the anubias nana attached to it.

sorry for the cruddy pic. And ya, my java fern has started to die, though I think it is because of the medication.

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
ok, here is another. you can see the white-ness on his eye. I know he had fin rot, but he also had other white stuff on him. You can also see his mate under him who was starting to get it.

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpg
    IMG_4953.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 72
Here you can see how the algae looked before the fungus or what ever it was spread to it, along with my female american flag fish.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom