Fungus on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lemon tetra recently died of fungus I now have a neon that has fungus and another lemon tetra with fungus as well. I treated with tank fungus cure with no luck what should I do.

Tank size 29
8 lemon 4 neons and cherry shrimp
Params are fine

Heat up the water to about 80 and buy fungus cure by API take out the carbon when you use the treatment

I wouldn't heat up the water. That's likely to make it worse. There are a number of antifungal medications on the market. I've used quICK cure successfully a few times. Make sure you check the medication to see if it'll mix with your inverts though.

If it's ich , the water needs to be around 85-86 for the warmth to have any effect on the fungus. If it's not ich, heating the water may do more harm than good. But for ich and tetra's heating the water is safer that the meds. Of all the community fish tetras can be harmed by ich cures. I know I read this about 18 years ago.

Are you positive its fungus? Fungus looks like tufts of hairs/strings growing off a fish. Its usually secondary to an already present bacterial infection and/or poor tank conditions. It sounds like more like a bacterial infection than actual fungus but pics would help ID it. I agree with Aquachem as well- do not turn up the heat. If its a bacterial infection, the bacteria will multiply more rapidly and result in the bacteria spreading more quickly.

Another neon tetra died this morning.

Here are some pics of the lemon tetra that died

image-3110276795.jpg

image-2323955639.jpg

Pics o the affected neon tetra

image-1135991150.jpg

image-669013473.jpg

And the lemon tetra

image-2403240720.jpg

image-1455721122.jpg

I will recheck params this morning

Going to lfs soon to pick up meds so quick replies would be very helpful thanks.

It looks like columnaris to me which is a gram negative bacterial infection. Reduce the temps into the low 70's, add a low dose of salt (.1%) gradually if all your fish are ok with salt and treat with a gram negative antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate. If your lfs doesnt carry it (most dont), you can try minocycline (maracyn2). Heres a link with more information: Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia

jlk said:
It looks like columnaris to me which is a gram negative bacterial infection. Reduce the temps into the low 70's, add a low dose of salt (.1%) gradually if all your fish are ok with salt and treat with a gram negative antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate. If your lfs doesnt carry it (most dont), you can try minocycline (maracyn2). Heres a link with more information: Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia

Thanks I will see why meds my lfs has

I agree. Columnaris is a nasty disease and can wipe out a tank if not treated correctly. You'll definitely needs some strong antibiotics like JLK suggested.

I came back with furan two do you guys think it will help or should I order something else. I lowered my temp to 73-74 and added one tablespoon of salt for every five gallons.

Start treatment with the furan product. As it seems you have a more serious case here, I would suggest ordering some kanamycin sulfate. You can order from National Fish Pharmecuticals or Ebay (aquatic pharmacy & others) or you can order Kanaplex (seachem) from quite a few different big aquatic/pet retailers. Good luck!

If I order kanaplex can I just add it to the tank or do I have to add it to food with garlic guard and all that.

Add it to the tank. Its compatible with Furan2 and actually both of them are recommended together as a stronger course of treatment.

Start treating with furan now. Even if it doesn't cure it (I don't expect it to be strong enough med by itself) it may atleast slow bacterial growth down to some extent to buy everyone some more time before you can add kanaplex. Make sure you keep a daily watch on your parameters as well.

I dosed kanaplex today and will finish dosing furan tonight. Should I do a water change as recommended on the furan package or wait till the kanaplex treatment is over.

Back
Top Bottom