Fungus? [pictures]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
Posting in general because I'm not sure where this would go... See pictures below

I put a small piece of driftwood in my 30 gallon about a month and a half ago and within a few days of putting it in the tank this white fungus like stuff started forming on it. I am aware that this can happen with driftwood and that it usually clears up in a week or so depending on the size of the piece...

HOWEVER

It took a couple of weeks for whatever it was to begin to fade away and by that time I was getting ready to leave for vacation for 3 weeks. I had someone looking after the tank and doing water changes in my absence. When I returned, this white fungus type thing had come back full force on the driftwood and had formed on about half of the substrate. I've been treating with microbe-lift Artemis (herbal immune booster, antibacterial and antifungal) because some of my fish were looking a bit sluggish and thought it would have some effect on the fungus because of its antifungal properties but... Nope.

Specs: (will add this when I get home, at work currently, but at last check a week ago all levels were within normal range)

So.

Has anyone had experience with whatever is growing in my tank? It's just so unsightly and I'm not sure how to even clean it, especially off the sand. I was thinking of purchasing an antifungal for it. I'm worried it will eventually spread to my fish.

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

Just looks like common tank fungus gone wild. I would avoid the anti fungal chemicals. Increase your WC's using thorough gravel vacs.
You might want to add a smaller variety Pleco as to keep your driftwood picked clean.
The fungus shouldn't affect your fish unless one has a pre-existing infection or injury.

Looks like over feeding to me.. Happens all the time when someone else sees the poor starving fish :facepalm:, they play the part well in my house....:nono:
Vacuum the tank after you stir up the plant leaves. Do at least 50% today and probably again tomorrow and you will see improvement.(y)

Just looks like common tank fungus gone wild. I would avoid the anti fungal chemicals. Increase your WC's using thorough gravel vacs.

You might want to add a smaller variety Pleco as to keep your driftwood picked clean.

The fungus shouldn't affect your fish unless one has a pre-existing infection or injury.

I have one rubberlip pleco who I got the driftwood for in the first place and he hasn't gone near the wood (I assume because of the fungus?).

Would you say one 50% followed by a 25% wc a couple of days apart for a couple of weeks would handle this?

Looks like over feeding to me.. Happens all the time when someone else sees the poor starving fish :facepalm:, they play the part well in my house....:nono:

Vacuum the tank after you stir up the plant leaves. Do at least 50% today and probably again tomorrow and you will see improvement.(y)

You may be right about the over-feeding... The night I returned from my vacation I had to scoop food out of the tank despite strict instruction not to feed them if there was food still in the tank. Ah well.

Thanks for the input

Your WC plan sounds good. I've never kept a Rubber lip Pleco so I don't know how well they perform. Bristlenose work well. Good luck. Things will clear up.

[UPDATE]

One week on of 50% wc followed by 25% change, as well as strategic fasting, has seen the fungus drastically recede. I was able to actually peel off a huge layer of it from my driftwood and man did it ever stink something fierce when it eventually came out of the tank...

Will be feeding a touch less from now, may invest in some more snails...

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom