Funnest fish for young children?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I now have space available and want to set up a tank specifically for the enjoyment of my two kids (age 2 and 4). I will be setting up and maintaining the tank so I don't need child proof fish.

Right now I am thinking of a tank 75 - 125 gallons and set about 12" above the floor. I'm wanting cute, largish fish that will interact with the kids.

Any suggestions?

I now have space available and want to set up a tank specifically for the enjoyment of my two kids (age 2 and 4). I will be setting up and maintaining the tank so I don't need child proof fish.

Right now I am thinking of a tank 75 - 125 gallons and set about 12" above the floor. I'm wanting cute, largish fish that will interact with the kids.

Any suggestions?

lol about child proof fish. It's great to get them involved at such an early age. My first thought would be to get it up off the floor a lot more than 12". As a first responder, I've seen my share of emergencies and heard a lot more. It's very easy for a curious kid to open a lid and fall in. It only takes a second for something disastrous to happen. Another consideration is if using a Python/Aqueon WC system tank height will help.

As far as the fish choice, I would say Koi as they are very social but on the other side wouldn't recommend them for an inside tank. It's difficult to ask them what they like by showing them pictures as I'm sure they'll both like every single one. Sounds like an interesting project though.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Severums are fairly large fairly peaceful fish with a good personality.

A little higher than 12", to be sure.

I put a 29 gallon on a coffee table in part to interest my son and it's just right, height wise. He could reach the light switch on top by the time he was 40" tall but couldn't climb in without asking for a ladder.

The table is anchored to the wall and there is a GFCI outlet adapter. The electricity is scary with kids.

We started with a betta when he was 3 ... Now four, his favorites to watch are ...

Snails
Shrimp
Otos
Danios

None of the fish interact much, he just enjoys hunting for some specific fish and watching what they do. The behavior of the mystery snails, Otos, and danios are what draws him in.

His favorite though is still the betta in a 3 gallon. He likes to hug the tank.

A relative had a 55 gallon and her little one enjoyed the Pleco the most.

If I had a big tank, and wanted to choose the fish for him, I'd go with an Oscar. In the store he's always plastered to the oscar tank and they seem to be pretty interactive.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

For a tank that size, an Oscar might be a good idea. They respond well to humans, especially if you involve your kid in the feeding regime.

Second on the Oscar.

I've heard that they are one of, if not, THE most interactive fish to keep.

A solitary Oscar in a 75 would do absolutely fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My favorite fish ever was a Black Ghost Knifefish.

My son who is 15 months LOVES our clown loaches! If you go bigger it is definitely an option. He also likes the Denison barbs we have and on the other spectrum of size he also loves the guppy/otto tank

I wouldn't keep it that low to the ground. Like someone else posted it could be a disaster. They can always sit in their high chair in front or another chair near by.

Fancy goldfish! We have kept all kinds of freshwater fish since my son was 3. Hands down, he LOVES the fancies. He now keeps his own 40 gallon long with 3 telescope eyed goldfish in his room. He's 8.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish are ok but need Loy's of care and a big aquarium minnows and plecos are the same need big tank but you can try platies neon tetras and bettas they'll need 5-10 gallons for a good life

I could see one of the larger gourami species like the pearl or snakeskin gourami becoming interactive. Angelfish would be my first choice because they're hardy, colorful, don't produce a lot of waste, and can co-exist with other species peacefully.

Black moor! With their big bulbous eyes and funky shape they always amused me as a kid.

Why not goldfish? The fancy ones come in a million varieties & that's definitely enough tank for a.... (few). You might get different answers about how many you can keep, but they are very social fish-puppies. Mine come when I call them, no kidding.

Just HIDE THE FOOD (I overfeed mine sometimes & I'm 30)

Last edited:
there is a big flowerhorn at my lfs that is very social and interactive. Maybe check those out!

I agree about it being a danger zone that close to the floor. I got mine initially for my daughter, I have it at average stand height. She would bring a chair over and sit there. I personally suggest being with your child during this fun time. I had found stuffed animals in my aquarium. It took time to teach her how fragile fish are and how dangerous it was to the fish by her sticking her fingers in trying to get their attention.
Being newer I don't have lots of experience with different fish but I can say she loved the koi with a clawed frog. Personally I suggest this only if you have a pond to put them in or be prepared to rehome them. Mine grew fast. Her tank is now a guppy livebearing tank she love the process of pregnancy and seeing the fry grow. She can tell better than I can when mama has boxed off and ready to deliver. Last 2 times she said this mama had her fry in less than 24 hours.
* note: this is only our experience.
12" off floor only sounds dangerous. Look at all aspects safety 1st, pull a chair up like we did. They still have room for mischief. :)
Enjoy I'm glad I got into this for my daughter.

You could do a giant colony of Shelldwellers, they have fun personalities. Or you could do puffers.

Back
Top Bottom