Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to Cococalm
Furry problem

Hello all,

I am hoping someone out there would be able to help me out with a little problem I am presently experiencing in a newly set up FW Aquarium. I have placed 2 wood structures in the aquarium - these are stalks from old uprooted Grape Vines. When I got them, I stripped them of their bark, rubbed them down ans dried them for near 4 years. I then washed them thoroughly and then boiled water bathed them for 20 minutes. After a week in the aquarium, I noticed a "growth" off these stalks and would like to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of this. I eventually want to cover these stalks with "Riccia Fluitans" once I get a CO2 system. Right now they are simply unsightly. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a few pics to show what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7994.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23852   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7993.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23853  

Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

Looks to me like some sort of fungus growing on them

Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've always been told that grape wood was not a good idea in an aquarium, apparently it rots and fouls up the water. I may be assuming that grape wood is a grape vine though?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

That white stuff is normal for many kinds of drift wood. It will eventually go away or you can manually remove it by cleaning the wood daily until it stops forming. Some fish will also peck at it.

Grape vine is not a "bad" wood, but it does tend to rot quicker than hard woods like mopani.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like grape wood and yes it will rot a lot faster. That white fungus happens on a lot of woods however and it will go away on its own.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to Cococalm
is there some kind of "safe" fungicide I can use if it is a fungus ? - I do have 6 fish - 5 tetras and one corydoras.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've seen that on all driftwood and also "bowl rock" that I've put into my tank. It goes away after a couple of weeks. I think it's some kind of fungus that grows on either the decaying lichen on the rock or maybe the outer layer of wood. Either way, I've had it in 3 or 4 tanks, fish tend to eat it, no problems with it. Just let nature take its course instead of putting more chemicals in your tank. Nothing good happens fast in aquaria!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com