Fuzzy stuff on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title says it all, I had to remove an injured fish tonight, and found fuzzy stuff on the underside of a few peices of driftwood, kinda tanish color I think (water is stained brown from tanins so it is kinda difficult to tell a true color...everything looks brownish or yellowish..)

Any ideas? it was only on parts of the DW not seen by light and it low current. I flipped the DW ti maybe get rid of it, but still dont know what it is...it didnt LOOK like any algae I have ever had before, but it may have been, if it is, it will be gone in a day or two now that the plecs and snails can get to it.

Most algae will grow towards the light. If it's on the underside it's probably a fungus. Fungi will thrive on dead wood (and that includes driftwood). I would remove the dw, scrape it clean, and let it completely dry before returning it to the tank. JMO.

ok np with that, I ahve tons of DW, I regularly cycvle them in and ou tof the tank. Will get that done in the mornin, thanks much for the advice

bizarrely, i have BBA growing on the underside of my driftwood. i don't know why, it's very strange. so, it can happen.

You're correct zenkatydid. BBA is one of the exceptions. It grows very slowly by algae standards, and will attach itself on stationary objects or the leaves of slow growing plants. It's always a dark color appearing almost black, although it can tend toward the red or green. I would never describe it as tan.

There are many threads here on how to eradicate it. If that's the problem be warned. It's alot of work.

it might be the driftwood rotting some what, or a form of algea, can you scrape it off with a razor blade?

yeah, it is removable, kinda pain though, I was able to remove some with my fingernail

Back
Top Bottom