Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

FW Parrotfish?

I am trying to find info on FW Parrotfish. My wife saw some at the LFS and I think she has fallen in love. I have been trying to research them online but always run into SW Parrotfish info. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James

Old 06-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Hey JM, I think I may know why you were having trouble finding them, that is if this is the cichlid you're talking about. The cichlid I think you're talking about is called a Blood Parrot Cichlid. Go to this link and post back if this is what you are looking for.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/libra...s/blfw6084.htm

From what I hear they're nice fish that cause little to no probs with other fish. I see them in show tanks in LFS's and they always seem peaceful and bright colored.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Just as an aside, parrots are actually a hybrid of three different cichlids, Red Devil, Severums and something else that I can't remember. Last I heard they cannot breed on their own and are "created" by fish breeders. Most of the hardcore cichlid (or just fishkeepers) keepers, consider them an abomination.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, I will go down to the LFS myself and investigate a little further.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:04 PM   #5

hey just another wife loves these fish. i have 6 in 2 40 gallon tanks, 3 in each tank. i absolutley love these little guys!they have an awsome personality! i hope that your wife got some.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just make sure you don't get the dyed ones!

If they're called Jellybean or Bubble Gum Parrots, stay away. These poor creatures have been subjected to a cruel process of dying to enhance their color. It doesn't even last.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont get them, stay a way from all hybrids
Old 09-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Theres a lot of controversy bout the blood parrots. Some say they are a mixed breed hybrid (I've heard severums, red devils, green terrors, etc). Others say they are actually mutated severums (sort of like the different types of goldfish mutations). I tend to think the latter, as they have many of the characteristics of the severum. They're bred in Asia (Malaysia maybe?) and it appears a lot of the rumors come from there; maybe to confuse the issue so people don't bred them on their own (as no one is sure what the combo is to get them) and they can have a monopoly. However, they CAN breed (although this is rare). From what I've read, the offspring tend to be a combo of blood parrots and what appears to be severum, which again leads me to believe they are mutated severums.

While I personally aren't fond of them, I know they tend to be VERY personable. I've heard them described as almost like pet dogs. I do know they have to be watched as they get older; the deformities can cause problems (such as being unable to close their mouths). And as for why I don't like them...I just think they're ugly LOL

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate those giant knobby heads that they get, same with flowerhorns.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMcAllen
I hate those giant knobby heads that they get, same with flowerhorns.
well put
good coments too allivymar

Tags
parrotfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com