FW Puffer for a smallish semi community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any true FW puffer I cn keep in a 26 bowfront with South American Bumble Bee cats? I would also like a schooling fish or two. Is it possible?
Thanks and God bless!

Would they be safe to add 1 or 2 to a 40gal community tank with lots of neons and Harlequin Rasboras? I saw some tiny ones at my lfs take down feeder goldies.

Heavily planted and with pest snails of course.

I wanted to add one to my main 40b but it has angels, and about 15 neons and 8 Harlequin Rasboras as well as some corys. Mainly to take care fo my snail infestation I can't get under control even with very light feedings.

South American puffers are not recommended in a community tank. 1 in a tank makes this fish very skittish. My bro has 1 in a 29g and its the most skittish thing in the world. They are definitely a schooling fish and long term success will involve species only tank + 15g per puffer.

Lets not forget the special manual teeth trimming required every year.

ok, so if I placed in 3 puffers would this suffice in terms of making them feel more safe? My lfs has ones that are about 1/2"-3/4"? long and I figure since they are slow growing it would be ok until I get my 150 or 300 gal setup.

Now it the teeth trimming only if not provided with adequate snails or other inverts in their diet?

cyris69 said:
ok, so if I placed in 3 puffers would this suffice in terms of making them feel more safe? My lfs has ones that are about 1/2"-3/4"? long and I figure since they are slow growing it would be ok until I get my 150 or 300 gal setup.

Now it the teeth trimming only if not provided with adequate snails or other inverts in their diet?

teeth trimming 1 or 2 times annually evens with a snail or hard shell diet. More often for trimming if you dont feed hard food.

You can try putting them in a large community system, but it will be difficult. They are at high risk of overfeeding since they eat snails and might go for anything else you feed your other fish.

Nope. The chances are slim for sustaining long term success without hard ache on your part.

Back
Top Bottom