FW stingray question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I'm really curious as to purchasing another stingray, mainly bc on my next purchase i get $60 off :).

So in my LFS they have the stingrays(teacup) in a discus show tank with discus, angels, cories, etc.

My question is, would a stingray be okay to put into my 180G tank with these smaller fish, I have other threads posted about what I have stocked but just incase you haven't seen it, I have

15 rummynose tetras
6 red phantom tetras
3 Cory paleatus
2 Cory aggizzi(spelling wrong)
1 rubber nose pleco
1 bristlenose pleco
1 zebra botia
3 assassin snails

My main question is, would the stingray eat these guys even tho the LFS has em stocked together in a show tank??

Andrew McFadden said:
Another??? Does that mean you already have one? Cause I didn't see it listed above.

Lol my other one died :( but yes I'd be getting another one if i could, what do u think???

I would have to say no because plecos are not a good thing to keep with them. If they attach to the stingray it wont abbey a good thing for the stingray.

Andrew McFadden said:
I would have to say no because plecos are not a good thing to keep with them. If they attach to the stingray it wont abbey a good thing for the stingray.

Yeah I heard that also, but i heard some kinds do okay with them, but other than the plecos, what's your thoughts?

I really don't know to be honest. I have never kept one but have always wanted too so ive done a lot of research. I don't know if I would worry so much about the stingray eating the others. I would be more worryed about the plecos and others nipping at him.

Andrew McFadden said:
I really don't know to be honest. I have never kept one but have always wanted too so ive done a lot of research. I don't know if I would worry so much about the stingray eating the others. I would be more worryed about the plecos and others nipping at him.

Really?? You wouldn't worry at all about my cories getting eaten?? Lol that's the first thing I thought of, at first yeah the ray would probably be too small but once it grew, I would think it'd be a concern

If it grew would be the question. I would be more worried of its safety before that. Out of all research ive done says you need near perfect water at all times and you have to be very careful what you put with it. I'm not saying it wont grow if it does the only thing that would probably makebot would be the pleco imo

Andrew McFadden said:
If it grew would be the question. I would be more worried of its safety before that. Out of all research ive done says you need near perfect water at all times and you have to be very careful what you put with it. I'm not saying it wont grow if it does the only thing that would probably makebot would be the pleco imo

Gotcha, thanks for the advice.

Stingrays are bottom feeders and may not do well with your cories,plecos, and loach. Teacup stingray is just a trade name for young rays.

I don't think its a good idea, and I would not put other bottomfeeders with it. Having a ray really should require a large footprint tank, which you may have, but you aren't going to be able to do much decor-wise since you want to keep the sand open for the ray to move around.

jetajockey said:
I don't think its a good idea, and definitely no bottomfeeders to go with it. Having a ray really should require a large footprint tank, which you may have, but you aren't going to be able to do much decor-wise since you want to keep the sand open for the ray to move around.

Okie dokie, just figured I'd ask... so no stingray lol oh well :) thanks for the heads up guys!!

You're welcome. It's just my opinion so I can respect your decision either way. If it were up to me I wouldn't do it unless i just loved stingrays, since you kinda have to 'build' the tank around them, so to speak.

jetajockey said:
You're welcome. It's just my opinion so I can respect your decision either way. If it were up to me I wouldn't do it unless i just loved stingrays, since you kinda have to 'build' the tank around them, so to speak.

Yeah I hear ya, I just figured since I was doing a discus tank, and saw my LFS had discus and stingrays together, I figure I'd ask lol no biggie

Back
Top Bottom