Galaxy Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there, was just wondering if $3.99 CAD/ each is a decent price? They are on sale this weekend (unsure what regular price is).
Do they do well with tetras?

How many would be ideal for minimal stress, are they shoaling or schooling?

Was thinking about 6-8 if that's a good price for them.

Wow, that's a beautiful fish. I had not heard of them, so I googled a bit. I'm a little concerned with their conservation status. Sounds like they are mostly wild-caught, and diminishing quickly. I'd verify that they were captive-bred by a reputable breeder if I could. I'm going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio_margaritatus; perhaps the situation has improved. Pardon me if I sound preachy, that's not my intent.

No no not preaching lol I was unaware of this. I know nothing about them, just noticed they'll be on sale, since I'm going to get some plants. So I thought I'd learn a little about them from an owner here.
Main thing is the price though. If they're normally like $7-8 each, then I'll get some at 3.99

And it's possible they're wild caught, but it's a reputable dealer (Only store I buy livestock from), and have never had problems with other wild caught fish, wherever the location.

Actually Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasbora) are easily captive bred and many of the ones in the trade are captive bred now rather than wild caught. Celestial Pearl Danio has a lot of information on them.

That price is about average for them. They shoal but don't really school tightly unless they have a threat. They tend to be very timid fish when in the presence of larger fish as well. They are about half the size of a fully grown neon tetra.

What store offers for them at that price? That was in Canadian dollars right? My lfs wants over $11 per fish

Half the size?? I was expecting something like the size Zebra danios. So they're not even an inch?
I guess I could put my neons and cardinals into the bigger tank with the glowlights, and put the danios in the 20g long with the glass catfish and kuhlis.

i picked up ten CPD's about 2 weeks ago. have them in an 8 gal species tank (except for i male guppy). not really a shoaling fish from what i've seen. they do shoal when startled, but are more likely to hide in a group between the plants rather than swimming around the tank.

they are slow feeders so better off not having much competition in that area.

i would love to get these little beauties breading. even here in singapore they are not easy to find. i did get them at a great price but not sure if the assistant at the lfs knew what they were :)

i picked up ten CPD's about 2 weeks ago. have them in an 8 gal species tank (except for i male guppy). not really a shoaling fish from what i've seen. they do shoal when startled, but are more likely to hide in a group between the plants rather than swimming around the tank.

they are slow feeders so better off not having much competition in that area.

i would love to get these little beauties breading. even here in singapore they are not easy to find. i did get them at a great price but not sure if the assistant at the lfs knew what they were :)

Thanks for the info.. I've heard even schooling fish don't school unless given adequate space to do so. I'm thinking I'm going to grab some tomorrow. Try them with the glass catfish. The catfish are very quick eaters, dart around, but are finished eating what they want within seconds lol So I'm not worried about getting food the danios. Tanks packed with plants, the catfish stay in the caves all day until feeding time.

Nice sig btw TF lol

Last edited:
Maybe I should, and sell them!
I could buy quite a few at once, since I'll be emptying all the tetras out of there, the bioload would still be under control.

Hey jetajockey, thanks for the info btw.. I take it they aren't endangered or nearing endangerment anymore? If they even were... It's just the site you supplied ends with this;

"After some initial scare about the fish being over-harvested and endangered in the wild, a party of 10 officials from the Department of Fisheries and the Myanmar Fishery Federation conducted a survey and found the fish at five locations around Ho Pong."

I have CPDs and purchased them from the owner of the site that Jeta referenced. I don't think they're as endangered as they were as many owners are now breeding them. They are pretty small fish so be careful with tank mates. They can be very shy too for a while (although mine now come to the front of the glass whenever they see me hoping for food). They also have small mouths so can't eat large foods; crushed flakes, Golden Pearls, New Life Spectrum .5 mm Community Pellets (the standard 1 mm pellet is too large for them) and Hikari micro pellets are good for them. They also go nuts for thawed deshelled peas. They also nip at the shrimp and algae wafers I put in for the Corys. Mine are in a 29 gal tank. A larger tank with peaceful tankmates that aren't too large and a fairly large group of them with plenty of cover in the tank will help them overcome their shyness and you'll see more personality.

I'm glad to hear their status has improved. Let us know how the new acquisition goes!

Back
Top Bottom