Garage Sale Aquarium :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I see that someone has already made a post about the same thing...But I just have to share my experience also.

Yesterday, my neighbours were having a garage sale, since they are moving soon. I noticed an aquarium, so I went over to check it out. I was amazed at the great deal I could get. It was a 20 gal that already had lots of nice gravel, a big rock and another ornament, a background, a filter, a heater, and the hood with a fluorescent light. All this for only $25. At Petsmart, this kit would be about $130 and wouldn't even come with decorations and gravel. So I must say, I got a good deal here.

Before setting this up, is there anything important that I should be doing? Perhaps cleaning the gravel very well, and scrubbing the sides...?

I would also like to have some suggestions on what fish I could put in here? I was thinking something different...I already own tons of platies, larger tetras, and danios in the house already.

I am really looking forward to getting started :)

Attachments

• picture_5475306.jpg
    picture_5475306.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 114
First thing I would do is take out the gravel, and fill the tank with water and a teeny bit of bleach. let it sit. Check for leaks. Also clean all the equipment with the light bleach solution, and rinse everything VERY well. I personally would not keep the gravel. I think though you could probably just rinse it very well and set it out in the sun for a while.
That was a great find! Have fun :D

Its probably fine, but you don't know what they put in their water or if some kind of germ or weird disease causing thing was in the tank before. I just think there are too many places to hide in gravel and with new gravel you are assured its clean.
I don't measure out how much bleach. I filled my ten gallon up and just used a little splash, maybe a little more than a capful. Just enough bleach so you can barely smell it in the water. And rinse a bunch of times so you cant smell it at all in the empty tank. You can also do a final rinse with water and a water conditioner to remove any remaining chlorine.

prettyvacant said:
All this for only $25. At Petsmart, this kit would be about $130 and wouldn't even come with decorations and gravel. So I must say, I got a good deal here.

Bah...you disappoint me....you are supposed to haggle...its a garage sale tradition...you should have snagged it for $20! :p

Before setting this up, is there anything important that I should be doing? Perhaps cleaning the gravel very well, and scrubbing the sides...?

Clean the tank well with really warm water and a bit of bleach (careful to not damage the seals), and rinse well. The gravel can be cleaned by putting it in a bucket and repeated risning and agitatation in very hot water. All other items can be cleaned with a soft, dedicated dish-brush under a stream of hot water.

I would also like to have some suggestions on what fish I could put in here? I was thinking something different...I already own tons of platies, larger tetras, and danios in the house already.

Apistogrammas, julidochromis, etc are very nice:

Attachments

• j-transc-gombi1.jpeg
    j-transc-gombi1.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
I put lots of bleach, and bleach the gravel, too. You can do them together. Putting a capful in 10 gallons is not even worth the trouble. If there any mineral deposits around the top, you can use vinegar which will soften it. It will also neutralize any bleach left behind.

I use alot of bleach.. cups even.. you can always rinse it out.. it gets the tanks cleaner faster!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I usually dont have merneral deposits on tanks givin to me but vinegar does work well when you have to get rid of them.. just remember to rinse well...

250 ml of bleach (make sure it is plain, unscented bleach) in 10 litres of water is plenty....you should never overuse chlorine bleach, it is very ecologically unfriendly and does a lot of damage to our waterways.

250 mls of bleach is probably enough for 20 gals. Any bleach that goes down your drain will be cosumed long before it gets to the sewage plant. But it is powerful stuff.

BillD said:
Any bleach that goes down your drain will be cosumed long before it gets to the sewage plant.

Actually, no....talk to your local waste treatment and water-quality engineers....as well, it is the lasting affect that the flushed bleach has on other things and the chemical compounds it can form while it is active that are an issue, too.

ptfffff my garage sale deal was better.

about $1,500 worth for 50 bucks :p. i even haggled in a second tank and a third filter

Toirtis said:
250 ml of bleach (make sure it is plain, unscented bleach) in 10 litres of water is plenty....you should never overuse chlorine bleach, it is very ecologically unfriendly and does a lot of damage to our waterways.

metric system again! LOL..

Toirtis said:
Actually, no....talk to your local waste treatment and water-quality engineers....as well, it is the lasting affect that the flushed bleach has on other things and the chemical compounds it can form while it is active that are an issue, too.

I think BillD would have to talk to himself or one of his co-workers..LOL

there will be a sticky soon for information to give us for fish suggestions.. its in the getting started area right now.. the questions it askes will help us help you alot..

Actually, no....talk to your local waste treatment and water-quality engineers....as well, it is the lasting affect that the flushed bleach has on other things and the chemical compounds it can form while it is active that are an issue, too.[/quote]

What you are saying is true. The bleach creates tiihalomethanes which are bad. They will do so in your tank, and in your drinking water. Bleach is environmentally unfriendly; that is a fact. Bleach going down your drain will not be bleach when it gets to the treatment plant. Were you aware that most waste water that has been treated at a sewage plant is treated with chlorine before it is released? Any one who backwashes a pool is also releasing chlorine into the sewer or water table.
The problem here is that one needs to balance the good versus the bad. I chlorinate my swimming pool, and I bleach my tanks. I don't advocate indiscriminate use of bleach, or any noxious chemicals.

prettyvacant said:
GIMojo, Good to hear that your deal was much better......

***Does anyone have any fish suggestions please..???***

lol, i just cant believe my deal and i love saying it lol sorry if it offended you

keep a community tank, i think its more interesting than just one breed. male gouramis are beautiful.

Yes, Toirtis, I did see your photo of the cichlid. Very beautiful fish, but it seems as though they'd be hard to take care of.

And thankyou everyone... for all of this uhhh bleach information....
:)

Back
Top Bottom