Garden hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm right in thinking a brand new length of garden hose is safe to fill my tank up with water after a water change (prime dosed in tank prior to filling) aren't I? It's a 66g tank so would save time and my back having been filling it with buckets until now.

Excellent. Thank you! Temp matched, water going in. This is bliss!

I need to increase the frequency of my water changes. Tested before and after. NitrAtes were red, and are still red. Hoping that was 80 going to 40. Only way to know for sure, another change tomorrow. I've just made some changes for the better though. Changing the food - from flakes to hikari mini pellets (much less messy - nothing hits the floor), and going to ramp up my water changes (at present it's at least once a fortnight but will now do weekly or more, much easier with hose!!). Yayness!

I need to increase the frequency of my water changes. Tested before and after. NitrAtes were red, and are still red. Hoping that was 80 going to 40. Only way to know for sure, another change tomorrow. I've just made some changes for the better though. Changing the food - from flakes to hikari mini pellets (much less messy - nothing hits the floor), and going to ramp up my water changes (at present it's at least once a fortnight but will now do weekly or more, much easier with hose!!). Yayness!

Best way to get nitrates down is a big water change of 50% 20 and 30% won't really touch it even if they are frequent. In my experience one 50% water change is equivilant to 6 20% changes I don't know why or the chemistry behind it it's just my experience.

Oh yeah definitely. I've just done a 50 (or there abouts) and my plan is for another 50 tomorrow. That *should* bring it down to about 20ppm if I'm lucky. Fingers crossed! Thanks joey!

Oh yeah definitely. I've just done a 50 (or there abouts) and my plan is for another 50 tomorrow. That *should* bring it down to about 20ppm if I'm lucky. Fingers crossed! Thanks joey!

I'd say that'll do it! If not maybe there's a sperm whale hiding in the back of your tank hehe

I'm right in thinking a brand new length of garden hose is safe to fill my tank up with water after a water change (prime dosed in tank prior to filling) aren't I? It's a 66g tank so would save time and my back having been filling it with buckets until now.

You'd need to use the drinking water hoses that are typically used for RVs other wise a standard garden hose will leech chemicals into your aquarium.

Best way to get nitrates down is a big water change of 50% 20 and 30% won't really touch it even if they are frequent. In my experience one 50% water change is equivilant to 6 20% changes I don't know why or the chemistry behind it it's just my experience.

One 50% water change will cut nitrates from 100ppm to 50ppm

On the other hand a 20% water change will cut the nitrates from 100 to 80. Each water change after the first is just taking 20% of the remaining nitrates out so is taking less and less nitrates out each time. So 100, 80, 64, 52

Thanks for doing the maths there. I figured as much. I do 50ish percent. Hoping I see orange as opposed to red tonight with another 50. That and I forgot to clean my sponges yesterday so perfect excuse to do it again tonight. :)

Back
Top Bottom