Gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gal tank with an appropriate amount of fish

The water quality is always good. I check it once a week and typically do a 25% once a week.

However, I noticed that the other day they were gasping. I haven't witnessed them do this that much in the past. What causes this? I have a rather large airstone as well

Can you specify what fish you have and how many of each and what your exact water params are. If we know this we should be able to help.

+1
Agreed- your exact water parameters & your stocking situation will def help to figure out a possible cause.

1 Bolivian ram
2 bosemans rainbows
1 australian rainbow
1 blue neon rainbow
2 very small clown loaches. About an inch each
2 corys
1 gourami
1 kribensis
1 sucker
3 danios

Ammonia - 0 to .25 - closer to 0
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.6
Nitrates - .25

Keep in mind I just did a water change and haven't checked since then, however,
I can only imagine the parameters are lower.

It could be due to ammonia/bad water conditions, and/or not enough air. Do you have a high gilter output that could supply air, or a bubble stone/wand?

Gboy66 said:
It could be due to ammonia/bad water conditions, and/or not enough air. Do you have a high gilter output that could supply air, or a bubble stone/wand?

Yup I have a pretty long one. O doubt its water quality.

Do you know that you need to shake the bajesus out of the nitrate kits in order to get good results?

aqua_chem said:
Do you know that you need to shake the bajesus out of the nitrate kits in order to get good results?

I shake all of them pretty good before testing.

I have really good bio filtration.

55 gallon tank

1 - Aquaclear 70 with foam, carbon and bio filter

1 - Aquaclear 30 with foam and my own custom pads for fine particle work

1 - Fluval 205 with foam, 1 tray of filter media, 2 trays of biomax.

I don't think they are doing it anymore. It might have been something that got in the water. Maybe from my arm when cleaning or what not.

I was thinking it was maybe oxygen issues. I was looking for some feedback on that being the issue. I have worked really hard on water quality and im pretty sure it wasn't related.

Back
Top Bottom