Gassing off ammonia possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
One of the locals reckons he is able to gas off >5ppm ammonia. I assume that's total ammonia / ammonium reading.

I didn't think this was possible otherwise bubblers would be running 24/7 in new tanks. Have I missed something?

The water is from a bore or well so maybe it's mostly ammonia.

I've heard of degassing via special equipment (akin to giant wet dry filters). But not in a standard tank setup (with bubblers or other circulation devices). If any degassing is taking place, it will have to occur at the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've heard of degassing via special equipment (akin to giant wet dry filters). But not in a standard tank setup (with bubblers or other circulation devices). If any degassing is taking place, it will have to occur at the surface.

Many thanks, that makes sense. Will put that one in the strange case files.

The only thing I've heard of degassing from water is chlorine. But I suppose since ammonia and chlorine are technically gasses that it is possible for the ammonia to degas. I suppose if any ammonia degasses from the water it just happens way too slow to be of any benefit in the aquarium world.

The only thing I've heard of degassing from water is chlorine. But I suppose since ammonia and chlorine are technically gasses that it is possible for the ammonia to degas. I suppose if any ammonia degasses from the water it just happens way too slow to be of any benefit in the aquarium world.

Many thanks. I could see how it was possible kind-of but had never heard of it. If he posts again on it (and hasn't gotten confused with chlorine) I'll ask what equipment is being used.

The way I understand it is that Ammonia (Dissolved Gas) and Ammonium (Part of a salt) are in equilibrium depending on pH.So you can Off Gas the Ammonia part. The equilibrium will maintain itself by letting some of the Ammonium change into Ammonia to be balanced again but now less in total. I think it is impractical to do this. I have played around with chloramine (Chlorine and Ammonia) and off gassing, Something like Prime works in a few minutes with water movement. Just go with that to be sure. I kept the data for some of those experiments if anyone is interested. Mostly to do with chlorine but 2 that delt with chloramine. I tracked Chlorine and pH and in 1 case the ammonia over time with various types of dechlorination by off gassing or Prime which also deals with locking ammonia.

The way I understand it is that Ammonia (Dissolved Gas) and Ammonium (Part of a salt) are in equilibrium depending on pH.So you can Off Gas the Ammonia part. The equilibrium will maintain itself by letting some of the Ammonium change into Ammonia to be balanced again but now less in total. I think it is impractical to do this. I have played around with chloramine (Chlorine and Ammonia) and off gassing, Something like Prime works in a few minutes with water movement. Just go with that to be sure. I kept the data for some of those experiments if anyone is interested. Mostly to do with chlorine but 2 that delt with chloramine. I tracked Chlorine and pH and in 1 case the ammonia over time with various types of dechlorination by off gassing or Prime which also deals with locking ammonia.

That makes sense. It was the only way I could see it off-gassing unless it was well water with some weird water chemistry. Thanks for posting.

I've seen this come up several times lately. If it comes up again I'll ask how long it takes.

I just realized why I brought up degassing devices. Years ago in an aquaculture catalog I saw a listing for a trickle tower that would "remove" nitrogen via degassing. I assumed that it was for a recirculating system. Actually it was for source water where gasses such as nitrogen and/or carbon dioxide might be found in excess (for instance, water drawn from the ground). The trickle tower allowed for gasses to be vented prior to use.

That makes sense. It was the only way I could see it off-gassing unless it was well water with some weird water chemistry. Thanks for posting.

I've seen this come up several times lately. If it comes up again I'll ask how long it takes.

Probably would depend on temp, aeration, and who knows what else??

I just realized why I brought up degassing devices. Years ago in an aquaculture catalog I saw a listing for a trickle tower that would "remove" nitrogen via degassing. I assumed that it was for a recirculating system. Actually it was for source water where gasses such as nitrogen and/or carbon dioxide might be found in excess (for instance, water drawn from the ground). The trickle tower allowed for gasses to be vented prior to use.

Could it have also been a wet dry with bio media to remove the ammonia that way?

Could it have also been a wet dry with bio media to remove the ammonia that way?

That's possible. I'm not familiar with the way new source was is processed; is it continuous or does it run in intervals? Idk. But the degassing aspect would work with any gas.

Back
Top Bottom