GBR got very territorial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gal tank, recently cycled. Have had a GBR and a small Cory Cat (don't remember the name but it grows about 2 inch) for 6 weeks now with no problem. Also just got a Panda Cory. Problem is that for past few days the GBR was chasing the poor small Cory a lot and today I realized he is missing part of top fin and tail :-( Decided to get a mesh breeder tank and put the aggressor in it. What should I do next? I am planning to get a 75 gal tank in a couple of months and wanted to move the Ram there with another one or two to keep him company. What should I do now? I also have a 2.5 gal tank but I know it is very small for him even if temporarily, right? Its bigger than the breeder but is still small I guess. Any thoughts? Pls help. Thanks!

A ten gallon is kinda small for a GBR, IMO. Add to that more bottom dwellers and it's going to get a bit aggressive. I've got two in a 37 gallon and they still like to try and chase the cories around. My three bigger cories can hold their own and even chase back sometimes, mostly just swim away laughing and saying "yeah, yeah. Your the boss, I get it.". My very small Cory is not fairing so well. The biggest Cory seems to try and protect him when he can, runs interference and such but he can't be there all the time. Moving the little guy to my ten gallon when I get home from work today.

If you can't re-home someone make sure there are plenty of places to hide.

blert said:
A ten gallon is kinda small for a GBR, IMO. Add to that more bottom dwellers and it's going to get a bit aggressive. I've got two in a 37 gallon and they still like to try and chase the cories around. My three bigger cories can hold their own and even chase back sometimes, mostly just swim away laughing and saying "yeah, yeah. Your the boss, I get it.". My very small Cory is not fairing so well. The biggest Cory seems to try and protect him when he can, runs interference and such but he can't be there all the time. Moving the little guy to my ten gallon when I get home from work today.

If you can't re-home someone make sure there are plenty of places to hide.

Ty Blert

Any other suggestions for my GBR?
Should I start my 2nd tank already?
I was planning to get it in a couple of mos, that way I could use media from my 10 gal, which I've only had 6 weeks and it barely finished the fish in cycle.
Help please.

I didn't know it was a 10 gallon tank...that's the problem. Rams need some personal space, and since the Corys share the same tank area, issues arise. I definitely wouldn't keep a GBR in that small of a tank....especially with other bottom dwellers.

If you can upgrade, do it ASAP. Just move every piece of filter media to the new tank. You might have toxin spikes for a few days, but it's worth it. Keep on top of pwc's and it should stabilize pretty quickly.

I didn't know it was a 10 gallon tank...that's the problem. Rams need some personal space, and since the Corys share the same tank area, issues arise. I definitely wouldn't keep a GBR in that small of a tank....especially with other bottom dwellers.

If you can upgrade, do it ASAP. Just move every piece of filter media to the new tank. You might have toxin spikes for a few days, but it's worth it. Keep on top of pwc's and it should stabilize pretty quickly.
I agree. IMO, if you cannot get a bigger tank now, then you need to do some re-homing. You are correct that the 2.5g, is too small, even temporarily. I would put the ram in there instead of the breeder net, but not for more than a day or so. Its certainly not a good solution for a month or more IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
I agree. IMO, if you cannot get a bigger tank now, then you need to do some re-homing. You are correct that the 2.5g, is too small, even temporarily. I would put the ram in there instead of the breeder net, but not for more than a day or so. Its certainly not a good solution for a month or more IMO.

Thanks

eco23 said:

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom