Gbr specific questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
A little background, I will be setting up a 75g fully planted tank. I know I want GBR but I unsure how many I should get and if it needs to be group or a pair or all males or all females.

I don't care to breed as I will only be having this one tank. So that's not a real concern. It will be a community tank with otos and other fish I am still debating on.

Can anyone give me specific direction as to what's a good approach for keeping these guys?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Start with your water, ph? Gbr's will do much better in an established tank as well. Also take into account they like a bit higher temp, 79-82 preferably.

Cool, good start. What can you tell me about grouping a few vs have 1 or 2? Males females or mix?

GBRs do best in a male/female pair, however, you can't just get a male and female put them together and expect them to like each other. (It's sorta like someone showing up and telling you "this is your spouse".) They can be hard to find as an established pair. There are articles out there about it if you google it.
It's possible to have two pairs in a 75 heavily planted tank, but it is just as likely to wrong. GBRs are very territorial when it comes to other GBRs. They are great with other community fish as long as they aren't spawning.

Thanks for the info, this is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know.

Back
Top Bottom