GBR's and Cockatoo apisto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always wanted both of these fish. I am thinking of upgrading this year and I was wondering if a pair of each could be kept together in a 30-40 gallon tank. I don't know why I never didn't think of this earlier cuz this would be such a sick combo. I have read online that it is possible but I want your guy's input on this.

Many apistos are harem spawners, meaning that a male will spawn with multiple females. It is recommended to keep at least 2 females for every male apisto. A female and male pair of blue rams may possibly be kept with such a trio of apistos in a 30-40 gallon tank. Do you have the tank yet? If not, I would recommend a 40 Breeder to make it work for sure.

Many apistos are harem spawners, meaning that a male will spawn with multiple females. It is recommended to keep at least 2 females for every male apisto. A female and male pair of blue rams may possibly be kept with such a trio of apistos in a 30-40 gallon tank. Do you have the tank yet? If not, I would recommend a 40 Breeder to make it work for sure.

I agree with Mr. Ram, he knows what hes talking about

Also, I forgot to mention that female apistos will appreciate caves to hide in. I would make it a point to purchase 3 small terra cotta/clay pots and cut a hole in the side of them (just big enough for the fish to get through) so that they have a place to retreat from the male and other possible threats.

bs6749 said:

I don't have the tank yet. I was just daydreaming about my upcoming.upgrade to a 45g long tank. I have read different things about this combination so I wanted to check with u guys could I make a rockscape instead of using pots. I want a very natural look. I'm actually going 'p do something like this except I'm gonna put valls all in the back and dwarf hairgrass as foreground and then some blyxa every here and there

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120218_182808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120218_182808.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 163
You can certainly use rocks, but I would check into something more like slate, which you can stack and form caves with. The will need caves with small openings to keep unwanted things out.

Okay so this us completly random but how do I post a question if my own on here. Can I do it from the Android app or on the main site and how?

randy86 said:
Okay so this us completly random but how do I post a question if my own on here. Can I do it from the Android app or on the main site and how?

From the android app u just press the setting button when u are in the right section (I can't think of the right word) then select create new thread and create a title for.your thread and then write your question and any other additional info in the description. Then press send

bs6749 said:
You can certainly use rocks, but I would check into something more like slate, which you can stack and form caves with. The will need caves with small openings to keep unwanted things out.

OK. Ill figure something out. I just want it to look as natural as possible. With the gbrs and the apistos impatient likely going to have a school of gardneri killifish and then maybe a school of rummynoses and then 2 small plecos. Does this sound compatible? Can u give me any other ideas for schooling fish.

Personally, I think you are going to have too little room on the bottom to add two plecos to something like a 40 Breeder with the pair of rams and the trio of apistos and all of those caves, etc., but I WOULD at one bushy nose pleco to that setup. If you want to keep it "natural" you might consider adding neon tetras or cardinal tetras instead of the killis, and then some hatchetfish or glass catfish for the top of the tank. Rummynose would be nice too.

bs6749 said:
Personally, I think you are going to have too little room on the bottom to add two plecos to something like a 40 Breeder with the pair of rams and the trio of apistos and all of those caves, etc., but I WOULD at one bushy nose pleco to that setup. If you want to keep it "natural" you might consider adding neon tetras or cardinal tetras instead of the killis, and then some hatchetfish or glass catfish for the top of the tank. Rummynose would be nice too.

Yah I like hatchetfish ands I was thinking of doing a bushy nosed Plexiglas or a rubbernosed pleco. I.just looked at gbrs and apistos online, sooooooooooo expensive for one fish

I believe the centerpiece fish that you wanted would more frequently come into contact with cardinal tetras and neons as opposed to killis...that was my only basis and you can certainly have killis if you wish. A 45L would be a nice tank too. You might be able to do two small plecos in that tank.

bs6749 said:
I believe the centerpiece fish that you wanted would more frequently come into contact with cardinal tetras and neons as opposed to killis...that was my only basis and you can certainly have killis if you wish. A 45L would be a nice tank too. You might be able to do two small plecos in that tank.

OK. The only reason I wanted killifish is , 1, because they have always been a dream fish of mine and, 2, cuz I rarely see people keeping them. If I dot do killis then ill do hatchet fish. Is it OK to keep a tank outside if it is out of the elements? I'm just wondering.g cuz my parents just built a 100 sqft shed that I'm gonna live in and I'm wondering where I'm gonna put a 4ft tank. I could put it on my desk and just do homework on my bed but if I could put it outside that would be better and my parents definitely don't want the tank in the living room. They don't share my passion lol

No they are actually a good bit different pattern and color wise. They do not typically grow to be these massive over bearing fish that out grow your tank in no time but for plecos they have a decent pattern and are pretty cool to watch. And they do a heck of a job keeping thinga clean

randy86 said:
No they are actually a good bit different pattern and color wise. They do not typically grow to be these massive over bearing fish that out grow your tank in no time but for plecos they have a decent pattern and are pretty cool to watch. And they do a heck of a job keeping thinga clean

Could I get one of each?

Yeah actually..... I don't see why you couldnt. In my 55 gal I have three different types of plecos and they all do well together. Typically as long as the fish get along and the amount of space is right do what your heart desires!

Back
Top Bottom