Gbr's and ferts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just started the full seachem dosing plan, except nitrogen, did my first phos dose this morning, came home to find Rammy sitting on the gravel, he's still perked up, not breathing heavy, just kind if lazy?? Anyone see this before, I know I'm not suppose to wc mid fert schedule but I think I have too, can't lose Rammy...

Have you tested your other parameters? Ferts dosed in normal recommended amounts should not affect fauna health.

No test yet, just did a wc, this lil fella has been constipated in the past, in thinking that's what's up, tank has been running stable for months.. I'll test it in an hour.

I originally got him because he was a sad lil fella at the Lfs, has been a bit on the fragile side.. Hopefully he just needs a good flush and he'll be right right in the next day or so.. I'm just hoping the new water hasn't thrown him off to much..

I overdosed seachem excel to help with an algae outbreak. Have two gbr who showed zero adverse signs when I dosed with excel

I've been dosing low end excel for long enough to know that's not the culprit..

Rammy is not looking good this morning, late for work but qt'd with paraguard, I'm starting to doubt myself as any kind if decent fish/water keeper for ignoring the obvious signs of a parasite and chalking it up to constipation, man I hope he makes it, my main goal in this hobby was to keep a ran for more than a month....

Don't beat yourself up about it, Brookster. You said yourself that he was a sad little guy at the LFS. If anything, you've given him a much better chance at survival. Hopefully the Paraguard will help and he'll perk up a bit. If not, just know that you've done everything you could to give him a fighting chance.

Yahh, still a tough one though, I guess just see how he's doing later..

If you think he's constipated, grab a frozen pea, nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds, peel off the shell and give him the pieces of the soft inner part. It's a natural laxative.

Also remember that rams are sensitive fish and can react to anything in their water. I'd personally do a water change and slowly build up the fert levels. Instead of dosing all at once, slowly, over the course of time, up the dose to what it should be.

Hey dragon! I did a 50% wc yesterday when I noticed he was hurting, this morning he looked no better, it may have been rash to qt with meds but it just seemed to make the most sense..

Hmmm, try the pea when you get home then. If he's just got poop problems, meds won't help.
last time, when I pm'd you the peas seemed to clear him up, this time is different though, he can't swim very well, just scoots around the bottom and looks a little bloated, from all the research I could find it states this is the condition of a dying ram...

He will get better bro just have a little faith. The most you can do is try. Sometimes these things just happen and a lot of the times it's from the LFS condition or where they are bred from

Ah, yeah.. *Nods* I've never had one recover when they've been in that condition.
in you experience what causes this? My water is pretty darn good! I think I feed him extremely well, could it be stress from fert changes?

Are you sure he isn't a she?
Couple weeks ago when my girl ram was bloated and scooting, it turned out she was laying eggs. I was really worried for a while.

Back
Top Bottom