Geeky question about Kelvin rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sorry to ask such a geeky question, but this is the sort of stuff engineering students do on weekends.

They say the Kelvin rating on light bulbs is a measure of the color of the light. Well the Kelvin I know is a temperature scale like Fahrenheit or Celsius. Are the two related? I thought it might have something to do EM wavelengths corresponding to black-body radiation at that temperature.

If my assumption is correct then a 5800K bulb matches the light from the sun (generally speaking) better than any else. Below this gets bad real quick and above this get gets bad - but not as quick.

Any thoughts?

I thought it might have something to do EM wavelengths corresponding to black-body radiation at that temperature.

Exactly. I wouldnt say going above 5800K is all that bad though.

You are correct. Kelvin is actually the color that a carbon body would radiate if heated to that temperature. With the base being of course Absolute 0.

At least that's my understanding.

And most people use bulbs in the 5000k-10000k range. I prefer 6700k, 8800k and the GE 9325K bulb.

Back
Top Bottom