General lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased a 29 gallon tank with hood and light kit. The hood is a 15w fluorescent light that says it mimics daylight. This thing is VERY bright. On my 20 gallon at one point I had 50 watts, and then later lowered it to 30. These were not fluorescent though, they were just incandescent screw in bulbs. The tank was NEVER nearly as bright as it is now. I thought it was bright then, but this is almost blinding now.

How is it that at 2.5 wpg compared to 0.5 wpg it looks so much brighter? I realize it could be just because of the type of bulb. When I was at 50 watts it was with 2 blue bulbs (which aren't very bright), and at 30 it was with those bulbs that are supposed to enhance colors.

The reason for my post is that both my fish like it darker. A black fin shark and a green spotted puffer. I don't grow plants or anything so I don't care about wpg. At 0.5 wpg I think it's perfect, but I worry about the fact that it looks so bright, it really is so bright and is going to harm them if they like it darker. Any ideas?

Thanks as always. Sorry if all my questions get so annoying. haha.

-brent

Of course the floursscent bulb will be brighter, they are MUCH more efficient than incandescent bulbs. Flourescents have about 20% efficiency (20% of the energy used is turned into light, the other 80% is heat), while most incandescents are only 5% efficient. Halogen bulbs are in the middle at 15%.

I'm sure your fish will be fin, just provide them with some cover if so they can hide if they get sick of the light, but I'm sure it wont blind them.

Alright thanks. I know all about computers, but know nothing when it comes to lighting. Hehe. Appreciate the response cichlidguy. And maybe I'm late but welcome to AA!!

-brent

Ok I have another question about lighting, hopefully people still read this one.

I have done some reasearch and have found that my light is 100% daylight, but they make ones that are 50/50. 50% daylight, and 50% 03 light. Can anyone explain to me what 03 light is? Would this type of bulb be less bright for my fish?

If I was looking for a light that looks good when it's on, but is not very bright, and I don't care about plants or anything, can you post me a link to what I should be looking for?

For example, here is an auction on ebay for a light that im guessing is 100% 03 light, with no daylight. Can someone explain to me which each of the different parts mean?

T12 Lamps 15 Watts :?: I obviously know what 15w is but whats t12 lamps?
Super Actinic R .03 :?: again, what is this 03 light? (other than it's actinic like the acronym tells me. haha)
This lamp has a Gold End :?: does that make a difference?

Thanks as always. I love everyone on this board!

-brent

Back
Top Bottom