General nutrients question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I kept a reef so I am very familiar with testing and dosing. I am a complete idiot when it comes to plants.

What are some of the general elements that need to be dosed to keep plants healthy. I do not want every single one, just the most important ones, such as iron.

Chuck's site is very informative. To answer here though: Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus are the 3 macro nutrients plants need. Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Boron..are normal trace/micro nutrients, along with lots of others in even smaller quantities.

Also PM Travis Simonson and/or read his threads, as he has a gorgeous ARLC with plants, as I am assuming this is for your cichlid tank.

All of the issues of dosing ferts are really dependent on your tap water and what kind of lighting you have - the more light, the more you have to concern yourself with careful dosing.

I love this particular article because it discusses ammonia as the culprit for algae blooms, something Steve Hampton (another plant guru) has mentioned and is not a popular opinion, but I really like the theory.

I'm with TG on choice of gurus :) Steve is one the nicest, most knowledgeable plant experts out there and I would highly recommend checking out his website at www.aquariaplants.com.

Read everything you can from all of the experts you can find, put that knowledge into action, observe the outcomes, choose what does and does not work for you, and formulate your own methods. Steve's advice, not mine. It won't steer you wrong.

Back
Top Bottom