General question for everyone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not too sure what you mean...I guess you mean too many air bubbles? If this is the case, it would depend on the fish and the tank setup. Can you be more specific as to what kind of tank setup, fish, etc.?

If you mean too much O2, yes. Supersaturated water is dangerous for fish. That being said, its difficult to get supersaturated water unless you have it under pressure. Some folks have tap water that comes out supersaturated with O2, but if it splashes when its put into the tank the O2 dissapates.

If you mean too many bubbles from an aerator, depends on the fish. Some fish lurve swimming thru those bubbles. Some don't like a lot of water movement (like my angelfish) and prefer calmer waters.

Good question freshwatergal!! In a month I will ahve my brackish tank set up for my sole GSP, and am going to put to disc bubblers, now I feel better about doing so :D

Well, I have a "Wal-mart" special filtration system, which I have never had any problems with. I went out and bought a bubble curtain for on the back of my tank. I didn't know if that was too much circulation.

I have a 20 gal high tank :mrgreen:

I suppose the question should be whether “ it possible to have too much air circulation for a specific fish” rather than fish tanks in general. What fishes do you have ?

hmm... too much water tension on the surface may not please your betta at all, who needs to coe up for air as they ahve book lungs if I recall correctly. LondonGman couldn;t be more on point about having to worry about how much air will be in the tank as opposed to what fish will be affected by its addition into the tank.

Yep. Bettas are Anabantoids (Labyrinth fish, breath air) and prefer less water motion. Water motion isn't per se *bad* for them, though.

The encouragement of water oxgenation (by bubblers etc) is bad for *planted* tanks, though. In these tanks, you need to inject CO2 (via CO2 bubbles, not O2 bubbles) into the tank to allow the plants to photosynthesize. This is only an issue with live plants, though.

My tank is not a planted tank. I have always found that live plants make the water dirtier. My tank is pretty well set up though. I took some pictures today, so I will have to get them uploaded onto here pretty soon. 0X

Back
Top Bottom