General question on test kits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did some tests tonight with both my AP and Hagen test kits, and found that they are not very close. So how would I know which one is correct?

As for the ph, I found that the AP test kit is correct, because I now have the ph controller on my tank, and has been properly callibrated. The Hagen test kit tests about .4 higher.

I also did my nitrate test tonight. The AP kit tells me I'm at 10ppm, and the Hagen kit tells me I'm only at 5ppm.

So which is correct? I also tested the Phosphates with the Hagen kit, and it showed me at 1ppm. How do I know that is correct?

Almost thinking of investing in the LaMotte kits for Nitrate and Phosphate. Since I have the controller, no real need to get the ph kit, as I'm confident with the AP ph test kit.

Any thoughts or comments welcome....

My PH comes out the same on both kits. I have given up testing nitrates and just dose like I have none. I dont trust the Phophate numbers on either kit and they never agree.

The Seachem phosphate kit is pretty good and not too expensive. I switched to the LaMotte high range nitrate kit and have been real happy with it. THe low range Lamotte kit only goes to 10ppm. My well water is 13 ppm out of the tap. As far as other tests, amonia, nitrites etc, I use a Tetra Laborett kit. It also has Kh, Gh, and Ph.

Back
Top Bottom