Generally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arklok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I create a happy tetra tank environment?

I use soft sand, lots of plants preferably live vs plastic. Then make sure to leave space in the middle for swimming. Give them docile tankmates. driftwood is also appreciated. A dark sand and gravel do wonders. What kind of tetra are you looking at?

In my tank that is full of tetras, I have some areas that are very heavily planted, and other areas a bit lighter. The live plants really make their colors pop IMO. I have playsand as a substrate.

Nice. Right now I only have 3 head and tail light and one neon. My two danios should prolly be taken back to the store. And i have a long finned bristle nose Pleco. I have multi colored gravel tank with sparse decor. 4 plants a piece of driftwood and 3 small decorations.

Tetra's prefer dimmer lighting over glaring bright lights. I changed out my 10000K metal halide bulbs to 6000K bulbs which give a much dimmer light and the tetra's come out much more when they are on now. They feel safest in dark substrate with lots of plants but also with some open swim space.

+1 to RC's statements, in fact tetras dislike bright light so much that some species eggs when laid are "light sensitive" and will not hatch if not in a shady spot.

Ok. I'll take care of that light problem. I've taken the zebra danios that were terrorizing them back. And I purchased one very nice gurami and two different live plant species.

Sorry. I have a ten gallon tank. It's a honey gourami.

The plants I've added are elodia and tape grass.

In a 10 gallon you don't have much more room for fish. If it were me I'd either add some Endlers for their small size and color or 4 Dwarf or Pygmy Cory cats.

Ok. Sounds great. Thank you! Yeah it looks really nice. Should I wait a few weeks before I add those few more fish?

How long has it been set up and fully cycled? You shouldn't add everything at once. Let you BB catch up with each additon before adding anything else. I know one fish isn't much but a 10g tank isn't much water especially once you take into consideration how much water you lose by adding substrate, DW, or any rocks. I'd give it a couple weeks. This also gives you time to observe your new gourami in the event it would get sick.

Ok. I'll wait. I've had the tank for over a year and the tank was given to me already cycled. The substrate is about 1/2 of an inch deep and is multi colored gravel rock.

Back
Top Bottom