Genetically Modified (GM) Ornamental Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, in the above article it says that they are trying for tropical fish that can live in cold waters. :D

Can we expect the following future possibilities 8O :

1) Salt water fish for fresh water and vice versa 0X

2) Coral for fresh water 0X

3) Plants for marine water 0X

Moreover, can't help wondering what all this would do if released into the environment ?!! :?: :?:

Vijay

This is cool, but I would be worried about it ruining the hobby. This stuff could end up getting so complicated, making it easier and taking fun out of the hobby, or, who knows, it could be a good thing, but I'd rather go for the real thing rather than something genetically engineered. Isn't that what part of this hobby is about, re-creating and taking care of a mock natural enviroment? I want the real deal man!

heh I find this quite interesting. I believe that genetical re-engineering will get man in a better position for space exploration and colonization, and yadda.. basically better survival... this being in the future. But I do think it kinda retarded to think that they mess with genetical stuff for pleasure? I mean just like Conan said.. its fun trying to make a natural setting as natural as possible.. its a freakin' challenge that appeals to people like us. Granted we also do it for the asthetic and beauty of it... creation and viewing alike, but it will just take out that zest we aquariumist take pride in. But who knows... it might make the hobby harder, easier, more complaicated like conan said, but it might also pose newer challenges, and new interests.

About TK-1 I noticed something interesting. I wonder when they make these GM fish, do they consider what these new genes impose on their lives? I mean think about it.. the reson why we let lights go on for only 12 hours a day is because plants and fish get stressed with too much light and they can't "rest".

What about other fishes that use a particular instinctual day set up of activities? I mean if one gene is inserted, and it will be most likely for athetics or easier use in aquariums... what if the fish survives it for about a month but then suddenly starts to degrade on account of losing that instintual activity because of the hinderance caused by the new gene it recieved?

I think sometimes science goes to far. I don't think making glow in the dark fish is going to help humanity.

While I was at my lfs I saw some neon colored (green & pink) fish similar in body size and shape as a Black Tetra. The guy at the lfs said they were injected with dye and it lasts for a couple months. The rest of their body was clear. Pretty wierd especially since it wears off quickly. I don't think thats right to do but I guess it's not much different than people getting tatoos. I will say that they did look very cool.

I guarantee that there are people working furiously towards saltwater fish that can live in fresh water and vice versa, and all of the other suggestions that Vijay made. There are a lot of frustrations present in this hobby and a lot of folks who are thinking, "wouldn't it be neat if I could overcome this annoying trait and make this fish ________?" so that we could have everything we want in our aquariums. A biggie is that many freshwater fish lack dramatic coloration, so that would be the impetus for making saltwater fish able to survive in freshwater. Imagine the revenue!

I have a lot of reservations about engineering the fish we keep to our own demands. This is how environmental disasters start, like those Africanized bees introduced to increase honey production. 'Member that margarine commercial .... "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature"

With having the vast majority of saltwater fish still being collected from the oceans, I find it unlikely that scientists or even wierd hobbyists are bothering to attempt converting saltwater fish to freshwater. This would require a change in the function of the osmoregulatory system and would have to most likely require a evolutionary change over several generations...leading back to the captive breeding problem.

As far as the dyed fish, with my experience with dyed oscars (blueberry, strawberry...) it drastically shortens their lifespan to a few months instead of 10 years....so I believe it does something internally.

The GM fish article is very interesting though, but I agree that it should not be allowed due to the potential of other GM fish destroying local ecosystems. I know already that the fact that they can't survive the climate is the last obstacle that keeps many disgruntled fish owners from leaving them go into local waterways. Being from around Maryland, the snakehead experience was enough to see how quickly this could become a problem. 8O

I dont believe in evolution, as with most scientist BS. This is dumb, will never happen. Go back to your shrines mister science.

Science is advancing rapidly. All this may take time. However, there is a good chance that something along these lines can happen in the very long term.

GM has always been done in the past for several centuries. Modern techniques just help it do better/faster. This may look very alien, however soon it will become a normal process and enter the main stream.

Back
Top Bottom