German Blue/Bolivian Ram Hybrid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok i have a pair of bolivian ram and a pair of GBR... the male Bolivian is new.

the strange thing is that the female bolivian and male GBR hang out together all the time... if it possible they might form a pair and attempt to breed?? i know they are different species, and they have a "mate" of there own species already in the tank...

had anyone ever heard of these two species hybridizing?

I have a similar issue in my tank...5 Bolivians co-existing with 4 GBR's. Every now and then, I will find two or three of them hanging out together. I doubt that they can pull off mating.

Jchillin said:
I have a similar issue in my tank...5 Bolivians co-existing with 4 GBR's. Every now and then, I will find two or three of them hanging out together. I doubt that they can pull off mating.
how genetically similar are they? they are in the same genus... even if the offspring are sterile, in un-natural man-made conditions hybrids happen

example, mule, liger, ...

how genetically similar are they?
I'm not sure how genetically similar they are, but their distance relatives in the African Rift Lakes can easily be cross bred and the offspring are fertile. It's certainly not something you want to encourage as the result is a "mutt" and you see it all the time at LFSs that sell "assorted" cichlids.

Menagerie said:
how genetically similar are they?
I'm not sure how genetically similar they are, but their distance relatives in the African Rift Lakes can easily be cross bred and the offspring are fertile. It's certainly not something you want to encourage as the result is a "mutt" and you see it all the time at LFSs that sell "assorted" cichlids.
i would never encourage hybrids, and if i got some on accident i would never let them out into the hobby. just a curiosity thing. i am not even sure my rams will breed at all, since i have a ph of 8.0... :? and if they did their tank mates would have fun eating the fry... QT tank is holding my ACF until i go back to school in the fall

how genetically similar are they? they are in the same genus... even if the offspring are sterile, in un-natural man-made conditions hybrids happen

I believe phermones are also an indicator of whether the fish are compatible. It will keep them apart naturally. I believe the mule and liger were artificially produced by man, right?

Jchillin said:

I believe phermones are also an indicator of whether the fish are compatible. It will keep them apart naturally. I believe the mule and liger were artificially produced by man, right?
kind of...but they are not artificially inseminated or anything to get a liger, same goes with a mule as far as i know. ligers i think occur when a male lion is houses with a female tiger, unless i am wrong no one forces them to, make babies :wink:

there might be a little more intention behind making a mule, but again i do not think matting is forced or anything

some hybrids are even found in the wind from time to time...example is the polar bear/grizzly bear hybrid that was just recently shot by a hunter in alaska

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/bear-hybrid-photo.html

although important pheromones can be ignored, sometimes the drive to reproduce is to strong...

if i am not mistaken in an artificial environment many animals will hybridize at the drop of a hat....

kind of...but they are not artificially inseminated or anything to get a liger, same goes with a mule as far as i know. ligers i think occur when a male lion is houses with a female tiger, unless i am wrong no one forces them to, make babies...

Nope, no artificial insemination...man just kinda put the two together purposefully to get the desired result. If I recall, a pack animal was needed that was not as high ended as a horse.

if i am not mistaken in an artificial environment many animals will hybridize at the drop of a hat....

I think man creates the artificial environment. In any event, we see for ourselves what happens in the tank when breeding is taking place...mom knows who she wants, dad knows who mom is and everyone else is basically shunned aside. If somehow things don't go exactly right, the eggs are destroyed by the parents. Can another male fertilize the eggs and have them hatch out with hybrids, it's probable as Menagerie mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom