Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Smile German Blue Ram

I'm thinking about getting a few GBR'S for my 30 gallon tank. Does anyone have any thoughts? I would be grateful if anyone had pictures also, I'm just looking for tetra friendly larger fish

Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Iv had rams and they are wonderful never agressive. They gard there eggs and are good parent(once they get the hang of it) and you could have a pair with tetras! Good luck you wont be dissaointed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-782837110.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	51330   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2610730247.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	51331  

Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Left: Male, Right: Female
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have 2 male gbr's that i got about 9 months ago. i got 2 males because i wasn't interested in breeding them although i read on this site that they are not the best of parents anyway. something about eating their young. i understand how they feel but that's for a different site.lol anyway i was looking at your stock for a 30 gal. and you might have too many fish to add the gbr's unless they're for a different tank. my gbr's are about 3.5 inches long and in a 45gal. sending some pics.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My fish are really small, I do not have heavily planted tank either. In thinking I have room for 2 and just 2
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

actually a heavier planted tank would be better because the plants use up some of the fish waste as food but i think the most important thing would be how often you do water changes and what your ph and water hardness is. if you google care of german blue rams you'll see that they like a low ph (mine is 6.5) and they like very soft water. also i do a 10-15% water change every 3 days. i also have to mix my tap water (ph at 8) with reverse osmosis water (ro water) to get my ph at 6.5. you can buy the water at machines at some grocery stores or at the lfs. again it is very important to keep the water "fresh" for gbr's. of course all your fish will benefit from the water changes. this is especially important if you are a bit over-stocked. also gbr's like "live food" so i feed mine live BLACK worms. again you can get these at some fish stores. i love my rams but they do take a bit more care than most fish. they are a great community fish and are not aggressive in any way in my experience. mine are with platys, glo fish, dwarf gourami's (they also like low ph and soft water) sail fin mollies, x-ray tetras, and south american bumblebee cat fish. i tried to pick fish that would do well in the water parameters the the gbr's needed..
Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichildlife View Post
Iv had rams and they are wonderful never agressive. They gard there eggs and are good parent(once they get the hang of it) and you could have a pair with tetras! Good luck you wont be dissaointed!
your rams are beautiful!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do water changes every 5 days, my ph is 7.2, but I do need to look into some live plants, right now I just have fake but that wasn't my choice. My tank is a bit harder then normal right now due to some apple snails hatching. But it tends to be softer.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some of my favorite fish. Had a couple lay eggs the other day, but it was the first go round and they ate them! Were hoping they go again! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-267932218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	51349  
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well if it was me before i got the rams i would make all the changes i wanted to make. going with some live plants would really be a help to your water quality. just be sure to research any plants that you might want to use. unless you want to get into using co2 and expensive lighting stick to low light plants. that's what i did and i have about 17 plants and they are doing great. i only have 48 watts of light so i have java moss, java fern, moss balls and asst. anubias, and nana's. if you google low light aquarium plants you'll get alot of info. live plants really make a difference in the tank in my opinion. the fish like them too for hiding and swimming through and an occasional nibble
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchin View Post
actually a heavier planted tank would be better because the plants use up some of the fish waste as food but i think the most important thing would be how often you do water changes and what your ph and water hardness is. if you google care of german blue rams you'll see that they like a low ph (mine is 6.5) and they like very soft water. also i do a 10-15% water change every 3 days. i also have to mix my tap water (ph at 8) with reverse osmosis water (ro water) to get my ph at 6.5. you can buy the water at machines at some grocery stores or at the lfs. again it is very important to keep the water "fresh" for gbr's. of course all your fish will benefit from the water changes. this is especially important if you are a bit over-stocked. also gbr's like "live food" so i feed mine live BLACK worms. again you can get these at some fish stores. i love my rams but they do take a bit more care than most fish. they are a great community fish and are not aggressive in any way in my experience. mine are with platys, glo fish, dwarf gourami's (they also like low ph and soft water) sail fin mollies, x-ray tetras, and south american bumblebee cat fish. i tried to pick fish that would do well in the water parameters the the gbr's needed..
So how many DG's do you have? I have one, but would like to add one more. I 've heard they can get a little aggresive, any advice?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would like to add that GBR really want 80+ water, warmer than what other fish usually like.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have 7 dwarf gourami's. all males. they aren't the least bit aggressive to any of the fish. i think you really only get aggression when you mix males and females. then they fght for territory and for the females to breed. i have all male specimen's in my tank. they all get along great. no problems.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
I would like to add that GBR really want 80+ water, warmer than what other fish usually like.
i keep my tank at 79-80. all my fish are community fish that can take those temps.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is also only 78-80 community and they do great. Like I said, they're even laying eggs!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

They'll love you if you can push that a few more degrees, but they should be ok at that.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie6283 View Post
My tank is also only 78-80 community and they do great. Like I said, they're even laying eggs!
how many times have you had eggs? have any survived? i saw in a thread that they are not very good parents and they eat their fry. how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? you must take very good care of your fish to have them breed. and your pics show sme beautiful fish.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchin

how many times have you had eggs? have any survived? i saw in a thread that they are not very good parents and they eat their fry. how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? you must take very good care of your fish to have them breed. and your pics show sme beautiful fish.
They only had the first batch a couple days ago. And they did eat them. Now were just waiting for them to do it again. In fact we are taking advantage of petco's $1 a gallon sale and ate getting them a 40g breeder. We do water changes every week and have some crazy filtration on the tank. We want them to be happy!

Tags
blue ram, german blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com