Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

German Blue Ram

Ok, I have the fever. I fell in LOVE with German Blue Rams when I saw some at the store! I want some experiences, tips, and warnings from people who have had these fish. (I am expecting an answer from maxwellag especially ) I would like you to tell me what you think of this fish in general.

Question 2: Are these fish compatible with:
Neon tetras
Cories
Platies
Zebra Danios
Gouramis
Bristlenose Plecostamus

I really hope they are at least compatible with Platies, Neon tetras, and Zebra Danios, because I already own these. Oh and this is a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Don't worry, I won't get it soon!

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
Ok, I have the fever. I fell in LOVE with German Blue Rams when I saw some at the store! I want some experiences, tips, and warnings from people who have had these fish. (I am expecting an answer from maxwellag especially ) I would like you to tell me what you think of this fish in general.

Question 2: Are these fish compatible with:
Neon tetras
Cories
Platies
Zebra Danios
Gouramis
Bristlenose Plecostamus

I really hope they are at least compatible with Platies, Neon tetras, and Zebra Danios, because I already own these. Oh and this is a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Don't worry, I won't get it soon!

Well, I don't know about all your fish, but I have my rams in a 55 gal with black neons, opaline gourami, 1 platy, von rio tetras, and some emerald corries and everyone gets along well. Unless they try to get in Ram territory and then there's some chasing, but that's about it. I keep the temp at 84f, do weekly 25-30% water changes, and have a pretty good amount of live plants. I feed freeze dried tubifex worms, Omega One flake food and the occasional shrimp pellet. I've had my pair for almost a year now and i LOVE them. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Well, I don't know about all your fish, but I have my rams in a 55 gal with black neons, opaline gourami, 1 platy, von rio tetras, and some emerald corries and everyone gets along well. Unless they try to get in Ram territory and then there's some chasing, but that's about it. I keep the temp at 84f, do weekly 25-30% water changes, and have a pretty good amount of live plants. I feed freeze dried tubifex worms, Omega One flake food and the occasional shrimp pellet. I've had my pair for almost a year now and i LOVE them. Good luck!
Ok, few questions. Can I raise my temperature to 80 degrees and that will be ok? I don't want it too high. Another question is, my tank is in the last throes of cycling. How long should I wait to get Ram(s)? 3 months? Also, can I do frozen bloodworms instead? Isn't that a bit more nutritious?

The most concerning question I have is, my pH is in the 7.8 - 8.2 range! Don't they need at most 7.0? I heard that pH doesn't matter, but water softening does. But my API Freshwater Master Test Kit doesn't test GH/KH! What do I do??

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two German Blue Rams. What type of Gourami do you have, cause my Dwarf Gourami bullies my Rams. There has never been any physical harm, usually just chasing, and there are plenty hiding spots and plants in my tank that line of sight is broken. Rams can very easily tolerate Temperature ranges of up to 86 Degrees, and the PH Shouldn't be an issue if you have store-bought rams that are accustomed to higher PH.

A Word of warning though, Rams have a very notorious reputation of suddenly dying. I had a pair before my current pair that died for absolutely no reason at all (one day just got lethargic and died).
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

pH does not matter, keep it stable and acclimate the fish properly. GBRs are sensitive to water conditions and don't do well at all when the nitrate rises, keep it below 20ppm if you can and keep the water very clean. Your tank should be very stable before getting one so I would wait AT LEAST a month after the cycle has fully completed just to be sure. I really dig GBRs, they are fun and have great personalities.

Oh, and all those fish listed should be fine with them. They are quite peaceful unless their territory is invaded, but then it is usually just a quick chase to remove the unwanted guest and then done.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180 View Post
I have two German Blue Rams. What type of Gourami do you have, cause my Dwarf Gourami bullies my Rams. There has never been any physical harm, usually just chasing, and there are plenty hiding spots and plants in my tank that line of sight is broken. Rams can very easily tolerate Temperature ranges of up to 86 Degrees, and the PH Shouldn't be an issue if you have store-bought rams that are accustomed to higher PH.

A Word of warning though, Rams have a very notorious reputation of suddenly dying. I had a pair before my current pair that died for absolutely no reason at all (one day just got lethargic and died).
Ok, if I wanted to get 2 Rams, do I have to introduce them at the same time? What's your water change schedule? Do you test your water's GH and KH? What do you feed them?

BTW, I want a Gold and/or Blue Gourami.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
pH does not matter, keep it stable and acclimate the fish properly. GBRs are sensitive to water conditions and don't do well at all when the nitrate rises, keep it below 20ppm if you can and keep the water very clean. Your tank should be very stable before getting one so I would wait AT LEAST a month after the cycle has fully completed just to be sure. I really dig GBRs, they are fun and have great personalities.

Oh, and all those fish listed should be fine with them. They are quite peaceful unless their territory is invaded, but then it is usually just a quick chase to remove the unwanted guest and then done.
How did you acclimate your Ram(s)?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
How did you acclimate your Ram(s)?
I always use drip acclimation.
If you get two it would probably be best to get them both at the same time from the same place/tank.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
I always use drip acclimation.
If you get two it would probably be best to get them both at the same time from the same place/tank.
Alright. I will wait about 2 months to get 'em. I tested my water and my cycle is finished! This will be the ultimate test of patience. I will get two rams simultaneously and will drip acclimate them. What's the best water change schedule for these guys? Also, I need to know how to sex them...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
Ok, if I wanted to get 2 Rams, do I have to introduce them at the same time? What's your water change schedule? Do you test your water's GH and KH? What do you feed them?

BTW, I want a Gold and/or Blue Gourami.
Its best to introduce them at the same time, so if they arent a breeding-pair, they establish their own territory at the same time. I dont have a set water schedule because I have a Heavily planted tank, and the plants soak up all of the Nitrates in my tank. I do not test for GH or KH. I feed my Rams Flakes, Bloodworms, and once in a while, de-shelled peas for constipation.

Tags
blue ram, german blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com