German Blue ram (GBR) genders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devinb96

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got two GBR's today and put them in my planted-sand 29 Gallon High tank.
I am think a male and female???
I am wondering if you guys can help me out on what gender they are?

Attachments

• 20150207_175030.jpg
    20150207_175030.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20150207_180202.jpg
    20150207_180202.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20150207_180326 - Copy.jpg
    20150207_180326 - Copy.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 117
I'd try to take a few better pics if I were you kind of tough to tell but my gut says 2 females....brookster would know a lot better than I would though I consider him the GBR sexing master lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like 2 males

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd try to take a few better pics if I were you kind of tough to tell but my gut says 2 females....brookster would know a lot better than I would though I consider him the GBR sexing master lol

I'll try and take some better pictures.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you say that??

Because, ive seen 126 of these threads in the last year, they're v er y easy fish to sex. A google search would give you all the info you'd ever need.. the limiting factor in successful sex ing is usually poor photo quality,.lighting and angle.. females have pink bellies, and a blue spot on the black spot.. males have blue through out and than there is the whole dorsal rays;)

Yeah I would say 2 males too. They should color up on their foreheads too if they're males.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Because, ive seen 126 of these threads in the last year, they're v er y easy fish to sex. A google search would give you all the info you'd ever need.. the limiting factor in successful sex ing is usually poor photo quality,.lighting and angle.. females have pink bellies, and a blue spot on the black spot.. males have blue through out and than there is the whole dorsal rays;)

mmmk, see if these pictures are better..

Attachments

• 20150207_191246.jpg
    20150207_191246.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20150207_191355.jpg
    20150207_191355.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 116
Will my two Male GBR's be able to live together? Or am I going to have to worry about them killing each other?

They should be good if they each have their own territory.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

I'm still seeing males my dude..

I'm still seeing males my dude..

Yeah I definitely see it too, and by the way they're acting. Sometimes they'll be really calm and social with each other. Then in like a split second they get tired of their company and start to be territorial. They're not really aggressive towards each other, they just do that little stand off and do this kissing thing.
They do seem to have their own spots in the tank though.

Lip locking, they should be ok as long as they have their own teritories and tall plants and structure to beak up line of sight. If you add a female.it could get heated though

Lip locking, they should be ok as long as they have their own teritories and tall plants and structure to beak up line of sight. If you add a female.it could get heated though

Are peacock ferns good to put in or no? Heard mixed reviews on them.

I don't think they're fully aquatic, swords and ludwiga will.work.

How old are these fish? Its hard to tell if theyre still very young.

Okay it still be may be quite difficult to tell. I can see how people are saying male, because lf no reflective scales in its false eye spot. But as rams grow older they have more noticeable factors, such as longer pectoral fins, they kind of flick round for males. And the dorsal fin in males is pointed where as females kts round.

Back
Top Bottom