German blue ram questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, just got a pair of breeding GBR, they've been doing fine. I dripped acclimated them and such, and now they have seemed to taken to the right side of the tank. They seem pretty peaceful, sort of like one of those classy stuck up people. Why? Well...

They kinda pile their food (Shrimp pellets, tropical flakes, and freeze dried blood worms- is this an OK diet for my tank? I might throw in some peas now and then...) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401646058.060231.jpg in a corner, and just sorta nibble, spit out food, swallow. Is this normal?

Question 2 about how long does it take for fish to fully regain color after transport? It has been about 48 hours. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401646131.026348.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401646147.197685.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401646184.080518.jpg

All mines ever done, when eating dry food, is nibble and spit. I think that's just how they eat dry foods. When I feed them frozen bloodworms, he just swallows them, with no spit back.

As far as food, I feed mine bits of NLS H2O Stable Wafers, Ken's Premium Veggie Sticks, and frozen blood worms... mine doesn't really like brine shrimp for some reason. He also eats as much of the NLS Flake I feed the neons as he can... eats it right off the surface... hes a pig

Ditch the tetra flakes for some.omega one or nls, also look into frozen goods.. mine love frozen blood worms and Daphnia also brine shrimp..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'm gonna buy more fish food xD. I'm keeping the Hikari bloodworms and omega shrimp pellets. However, I may also get Hikari sinking chichlid pellets, Hikari algae wafers (for cories and to have some occasional vegetable matter for the tetras), and IDK about the flakes. Maybe keep them as a backup stock? I'd assume they'd be getting plenty of variety between the 5 (including vegetables) different sources...

I like to.feed.a bit of flake every other morning, good flake dies home.good nutrition, also the whole color booster thing:/

Mine were doing that with the sinking Omega One cichlid pellets when I first got them (spitting back out), so I added freeze dried bloodworms and Omega One flakes to the feeding regime. Now they attack the pellets and the flakes, but seem to leave the bloodworms alone. Coloring didn't take long in my tank (I've had them for about two months and they're coloration is gorgeous, and one pair just laid eggs (didn't hatch, however).

Yaaaaaay eggs! They are now defending a rock, taking turns to get food and whatnot. Their colors are both extremely bright. The eggs almost look like sand!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402014094.231107.jpg

Their behavior is totally normal. I'll second the frozen blood worms and omega one food.

If we could get a better picture, it looks like you may have two females.

They also tend to stick to their area of the tank more than any of my other fish. I have four females, the largest is front and center, the other three share the back of the tank - they all cruise to the top together when feeding.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine are constantly sucking up sand and spitting it out.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope, not two females. I bought a breeding pair from Yunite, perhaps you know him?

Weird. The male is now protecting the eggs, and the female is just kinda drifting around. It's almost like he doesn't want her near the eggs?

The male and female will switch jobs at all times at least one is guarding the eggs and the other is doing something else. Then they change places. I noticed when my jewel cichlids breed that most of the time the female would guard the eggs and the male would be on the other end of the tank. It some times was the other way around but usually the female stayed with the eggs and the male would be far away chasing every other fish away.

Hm. Assuming I can raise them, what would I feed? I have live microworms and Decaps Brine shrimp eggs, would these be small enough? I also have first bites (I love Hikari!

All those would be good.. you can also get frozen baby brine, live baby brine is the recommended but is not always practical.

Hm. Assuming I can raise them, what would I feed? I have live microworms and Decaps Brine shrimp eggs, would these be small enough? I also have first bites (I love Hikari!

Dont get too into the idea of having baby rams. I think the first few batches tend to fail as they learn how to raise the eggs. Also gh and kh has an effect on fertilisation of the eggs

Back
Top Bottom