German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone.

I am considering setting up a second tank in the near future. I would like another community tank and have a couple of GBRs in there once it is well established. I understand their needs regarding general parameters but I have the problem of having high pH of 8.2 and hard water. I have spoken to m LFS and they say they keep their rams in the same water as I would have. I have checked the water quality in their region with the water company and it is indeed v similar to mine. My question really is would GBRs be ok in this high pH and hard water? I know they are not the best conditions but have heard in other threads that if they are in the LFS at similar parameters then thee is a chance. Any advice would be great.

Hey! What size tank are you considering? Driftwood and bogwood will lower your pH. I would say that they might not do so good in those parameters. But since they are used to them I would consider it. Anyway I would still add driftwood. I have one and they are brilliant fish. Good luck!

Well I'm thinking of getting another c.130 litre. I will be stocking it with appropriate ditherers and cleaning crew so would only be looking to get a pair. I have tried adding boxwood to my current aquarium and the pH has only dropped to 8 from 8.2 in around 3 months. I guess I am stuck with it really. Hmm, I am considering whether I should risk getting them or not really. As the LFS has them at least they will be familiar with the water but I don't want to shorten their lifespan or end up with colourless fish.

You can also use Indian Almond Leaves in the tank. The help soften water and have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Plus if you use them in the bottom of the tank, rams like to spawn on them. As for the higher ph, the rams will adapt but usually won't spawn in that high of ph. You can always go with doing WC's using RO water mixed with tap. This is how I keep my water softer with a lower ph. But if the fish are already assimilated to a higher ph you really can just use your tap water. It's really what is going to work best for you. I get my Almond leaves from Tyne Valley Aquatic and he gets some really nice large quality leaves.

Hmm hadn't though of using almond leaves but may consider it. How much do they reduce pH and hardness by or is this a stupid question? Or i may just give the GBRs a v slow acclimatisation. Thanks for all your advice though guys.

Back
Top Bottom