German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hcourts said:
I love my guy and he's not shy at all!! How do you sex these? Is there a distinct difference??

Females will have a pink-ish belly area, a black stripe in the pelvic fins, and on the side of the fish, the blue will show through the black spot. Males will not have any of this. I also think females may have a bit founder frame.

image-1327679847.jpg
Male

image-3280887711.jpg
Female

Notice her pink belly and the males fin on his back will generally have a pointed black stripe in the front towards the head the females don't have this.

I love my guy and he's not shy at all!! How do you sex these? Is there a distinct difference??

Females will typically have a pink belly, while males usually have a blue or yellow belly. This is not a 100% accurate way to tell, but it is what a lot of people go buy. The one and only way to be sure is to vent them, or look closely at their reproductive organs.

Thanks everyone for the pictures. I'm really excited to watch my Guys grow.
The other 3 are thriving beautifully so I guess I just got one bad one. Makes me sad to lose a fish tho.

they are amazing... i'm gather parts for a 40G breeder that i'm setting up for GBR myself, gonna try breeding them :)

(y) I just got a 40g breeder for the same reason! I want to try and breed them. I was thinking of doing to pairs GBR's and EBR's.

Question: Can I do one pair of each with breeding beds set at opposite end of the tank or no?

I'v breed kribs with a lot of success but really want a new challenge. I just cant decide on one ram.... :rolleyes::blink::thanks:

(y) I just got a 40g breeder for the same reason! I want to try and breed them. I was thinking of doing to pairs GBR's and EBR's.

Question: Can I do one pair of each with breeding beds set at opposite end of the tank or no?

If you put 2 pairs in one tank it may or may not work depending on how the tank is set up. There are going to be problems with the males especially. Plus just because there are two males and two females doesn't mean they will pair up. Personally if you are wanting to breed you might do better to give each pair a tank. As far as Electric blue rams... they are hard to breed. Many have reproductive issues.

Rivercats said:
If you put 2 pairs in one tank it may or may not work depending on how the tank is set up. There are going to be problems with the males especially. Plus just because there are two males and two females doesn't mean they will pair up. Personally if you are wanting to breed you might do better to give each pair a tank. As far as Electric blue rams... they are hard to breed. Many have reproductive issues.

Cool thanks for info! I have read somewhere that the ram farmers in Asia use a a hormone to make juveniles color up faster and that it can cause reproductive problems.

Cool thanks for info! I have read somewhere that the ram farmers in Asia use a a hormone to make juveniles color up faster and that it can cause reproductive problems.

Yep that is alot of the problem. I found a place called Oddballfish.com that breeds their own fish which includes GBR's, the electric blues, and golds. You can order different sizes and sexes you want. That is where all my rams came from this time and all 11 have done great for almost the year I've had them.

Rivercats said:
Yep that is alot of the problem. I found a place called Oddballfish.com that breeds their own fish which includes GBR's, the electric blues, and golds. You can order different sizes and sexes you want. That is where all my rams came from this time and all 11 have done great for almost the year I've had them.

Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely be check out that site! I was dreading trying to get supplier info out of my lfs.

Rivercats said:

Yes!! Oddball fish has the best gbrs hands down

I got my all my rams, threadfin rainbows, and my longfin albino bn pleco from them. I can honestly say all the fish I got from them has come in very healthy and of a good solid weight.

Back
Top Bottom