German blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticHooper23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are german blue rams active fish? Its been a day since I got mine and they haven't done much moving. Maybe their just sick?

They are usually pretty active but could be acclimating especially if the water they are in is alot different than the water they were previously kept in. Also what are the nitrate readings in your tank? Rams are sensitive to nitrates. Have they eaten anything? If they are stressed turning off the light can help.

Make sure they have some hiding spots too, so they feel safe. Germans can take some time to get used to there new surrounding.

Make sure they have some hiding spots too, so they feel safe. Germans can take some time to get used to there new surrounding.

Yea they seem to swim around fine when I watch from far away and they don't notice ne but if they do, they suddenly freak out and hide...how do I feed them? If they won't even go up top to eat...

They will get hungry and eat or catch little pieces that float by their hiding place. Give them a few days to settle in and get used to you. Once they find your the "food" bank they will start coming out.

They will get hungry and eat or catch little pieces that float by their hiding place. Give them a few days to settle in and get used to you. Once they find your the "food" bank they will start coming out.

Since they seem so spooked when I'm around, should I just feed a couple flake then leave and see if they'll eat it?

You can surely try that but remember they need to get used to you and feeding time.

I tried and I watched they were chasing down a flake they didn't eat it though just chase it around, until it got sucked up by the filter intake. How much would a couple of flakes do to the nitrate? Because I guess they are very sensitive

I have a GBR and I love the little guy. I use tubeworms and smush them on the side of the tank about 1/2 way down. He waits every morning for 'his' special feeding. He down like to find himself a place between the driftwood and the moss. But he does come out. That is his spot and he will chase, but not nip at the other fish when they get in the way. I am thinking of getting him a female later. Give him sometime, they are very sweet.

I have a GBR and I love the little guy. I use tubeworms and smush them on the side of the tank about 1/2 way down. He waits every morning for 'his' special feeding. He down like to find himself a place between the driftwood and the moss. But he does come out. That is his spot and he will chase, but not nip at the other fish when they get in the way. I am thinking of getting him a female later. Give him sometime, they are very sweet.

Yea I think your right. It's been two days and they're barely getting there blueish color to them. They're more active then when I first got them, however they still hide if I get too close to the tank. They're in a 5 gallon quarantine, they are small probably an inch and a half if even. However people have wrote about how they have bad luck with them, so any advice on caring for them?

GBR's do better when added to a mature tank of at least 4 if not 6 months. Also the reason for many not doing well is often GBR's are imported from Fish Farms in Asia where often the are not only mass bred but are often treated with hormones to enhance faster coloration for better sales. It often boils down to poor genetics which a hobbist would never know about. All you can do is provide the best conditions possible in your tank.

Yea, this tanks been set up since October. I just need to know, how much nitrates would be okay for them?

Mine do best when I keep nitrates at 10ppm. I notice a difference in color, etc, when trates start getting up close to 20ppm. Many keep them at higher nitrates but IMO that isn't a good idea.

Okay, ill check the water parameters with the API test kit and do a water change. However I do not want to spook them, because I feel like I'm trying to gain their trust. However I'd rather have them spooked then dead.

Back
Top Bottom