German blue rams???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I have ordered a breeding pair of GBR for my tank. It's about 2 months old, with 8 Rummynose tetras, 2 (soon to be 5) neon tetras, and 1 surprisingly calm glow danio, + 5 peppered cories. I think I have enough hiding spaces,but I am planning on adding more. I only ever see 1-3 cories at a time, they are always stowed away in the nooks of the plants and driftwood. Is there anything I can do to prepare the tank more? Params are:

ammonia : 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate : 10-20

Should I raise temp?
Thanks!

Well you have plenty of room for them. My main suggestion would be to quarantine them for a few weeks in a tank by themselves. This allows them
To get use your fish food without other fish pushing them around. They can be very shy at first in my opinion.

Oh, I doubt they'll get pushed around. My fish are all very timid, especially the cories... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401080637.474994.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401080645.208348.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401080652.108902.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401080659.242702.jpg

I agree -- definitely get more decor. GBRs like cover, so more DW and some larger plants would help a lot. Dried leaves scattered around the tank are always appreciated too and they're convenient because you can form temporary caves with them.

I keep my tank at 80 and my ram has been doing great. Like I said before, the more caves and plants and driftwood the better.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hm... I can't really get many more plants, but I do have some java moss I can work with. I'm going on a rock hunt as we speak actually :)

Went and got a bunch of rocks. Soaked em in REALLY hot water for like 5 min, now drying in the sun. I'm trying to add plants with what moneywort I have extra, java moss, and a HUGE clump of lace java fern. keep in mind I've already snipped some off, look at this beast!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401112448.310371.jpg

Looks better but still very barren. Some taller decor might help a bit, particularly if you could find a few large pieces of driftwood. A nice big manzanita stump would look great in there. Also have you tried facing your filter output horizontally? Might give your tank a bit more flow throughout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks better but still very barren. Some taller decor might help a bit, particularly if you could find a few large pieces of driftwood. A nice big manzanita stump would look great in there. Also have you tried facing your filter output horizontally? Might give your tank a bit more flow throughout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, my rams are. Lying to,morrow, and I will be getting more money soon. I'll look into more driftwood, and I was planning on more plants Anyhow. Will they be OK temporarily? I realize the conditions aren't Perfect, but are they at least satisfactory?

They're probably going to be stressed if they can't find ample cover.. why can't you get some plants? A nice java fern mat and some swords will do wonders for the scape..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're probably going to be stressed if they can't find ample cover.. why can't you get some plants? A nice java fern mat and some swords will do wonders for the scape..

Bah, no ride to pet store (I'm 14), so no plants for me :(

Get an uber cab! I just trimmed some rotala, pm me if you want some, It grows nice and tall under med light. My rams spend most their time in it..

Wait can I plant my lace java fern in sand? As stated before I have a huge clump

The main part of the root structure needs to be above the substrate to avoid rotting. Best to tie to a piece of rock or driftwood.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom