German blue ran ok in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Edit-RAM. I went to my Lfs for some cardinals on Saturday, ended up leaving with a sad little ram that really looked like it wanted out of there. I set up a 5-6 gal hex as a qt, it has a fully cycled filter. I know these like established tanks which he will end up in, think 2 weeks will be ok in the qt?

I personally think it should be OK for a short period of time. They don't get too big. What size of tank will it be going into after that?

It will going into a planted 20 tall with 3 neons 4 cardinals 6 Pygmy Cory's and 3 guppys, it should have the run of the tank! Do you think limit him to a week in qt? Or def full 2weeks?

I'd say a week is adequate. If anything is going to show up, it would happen in a week's time since they are sensitive fish. It won't take long for something to show up if it was going to.

I'd say a week is adequate. If anything is going to show up, it would happen in a week's time since they are sensitive fish. It won't take long for something to show up if it was going to.
sounds good, does not seem happy I there, really want to let him loose in his man cave! Just sitting on the bottom behind a plant.. Eating, so I'm not worried yet..

Sounds to be really stressed still. Give him time, keep the tank dark as much as possible, and he'll warm up in time. He'll most likely stay that way when you move him into the other tank. Until he settles in anyway, then they're quite the busybodies.

As long as he's eating dont worry top much. Try adding a cave like a terracotta pot turned sideways. Might help him feel comfortable in QT.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have only turned lights in for an hour a night to feed and observe, he seemed happier last night, fins flared, color looks awesome, ate daphnia and swan into a cichlid stone for a bit. I think he'll be great, I'm going to move him this weekend I think.

From someone who lost 15 fish to a disease that showed up a few days after a two-week quarantine, I would strongly urge you to keep him quarantined for at least two weeks--three would be better yet.

From someone who lost 15 fish to a disease that showed up a few days after a two-week quarantine, I would strongly urge you to keep him quarantined for at least two weeks--three would be better yet.
Ouch! I recently lost 4 because I neglected to quarantine, that's what motivated the setup of this qt tank. I guess I'll have to be patient on this one. Thanks.

You could always preemptively medicate. I've been dosing all of my QT fish with parasite guard before introducing to main tank and have not lost one since doing this. Well I lost a few neon tetras in QT but thats to be expected with neons. With all the wild caught fish mixed in together and central filtration units in fish stores, your pretty much guaranteed to pick up a parasite. For me this is a one time treatment while in quarantine and I also raise my QT to 86 to kill any ich that may be present. I even did this with the last two GBR's I bought and they actually broke out in ich as i was slowly raising the temp the first couple days. Im happy to report they are happy and healthy now.

I did add melafix the first 2 days. I have been keeping a close eye on them for ich. and any other issues. The tanks they are kept in all have singular filtration and you can see notes on the glass on tanks with health issues.

They will be ok alone or in pair for two-three weeks QT, but I would remove them from there after, or they may become frustrated

Melafix and primafix are useless imo and it can actually burn gills (tea tree oil and melaluca oil are actually very caustic and can be poisonous to fish... look it up)

Melafix and primafix are useless imo and it can actually burn gills (tea tree oil and melaluca oil are actually very caustic and can be poisonous to fish... look it up) Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I def looked into it, it says in large quantities yes it can and will mess a fish up. So you would recommend a paraguard or something like that? I just had the melafix already and people on aa have net upend using it proactively in a qt..

PraziPro is the parasite meds I've always had recommended to my by both of my LFS. It doesn't hurt a healthy fish and goes a long way to put your mind at ease on whether a parasite will show up later... Any fungus or other disease should show up within the first week if it's going to at all, and pre-emptive medication on those is a good way to encourage super-bugs. Stick to the PraziPro and at least a week of quarantine and you should be good. If he seems to be getting stressed/frustrated after the week then I'd end the QT then, but if he still seems happy then go for the full 2 weeks.

PraziPro is the parasite meds I've always had recommended to my by both of my LFS. It doesn't hurt a healthy fish and goes a long way to put your mind at ease on whether a parasite will show up later... Any fungus or other disease should show up within the first week if it's going to at all, and pre-emptive medication on those is a good way to encourage super-bugs. Stick to the PraziPro and at least a week of quarantine and you should be good. If he seems to be getting stressed/frustrated after the week then I'd end the QT then, but if he still seems happy then go for the full 2 weeks.
I'll give it a try, he seems to be getting more comfortable, not hiding as much.

I agree with this advice. For me it's the parasites im concerned about. Treating a whole tank for a parasite is a pain and many can go undetected for quit some time
Most fungal/bacterial things will show up or be taken care of by the immune system. But parasites can't always be seen. I've heard good things about prazi but o believe parasite guard has praziquantal in it also so I believe they are both effective for the same things. I just know parasite guard does also have metroniadazole which has some antibacterial qualities in addition to treating some parasites that praziquantal misses. And it has something else in it to prevent secondary fungal infections.

Back
Top Bottom