Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

German or bolivian rams

I have a 20 gallon that I would like to stock with rams based on ease of care and breeding ability. I also have a 10 gallon if need for fry. I will have homes for fry if I get some.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always been told that Bolivian Rams are hardier and easier to care for. I think they are about the same difficulty for breeding.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Blue rams are notoriously horrible parents. I believe Bolivians are leaps and bounds ahead of blue rams in the ease department.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bolivians are easier and hardier. If you want to go with blue's, I would try to find a local breeder and avoid buying them from the lfs. You may get lucky, but it seems that more often than not, they don't live long.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

Bolivians are much easier to keep. Most of the blue rams that you see at pet stores are inferior quality compared to those from breeders.

Heck, even wild apistogramma are easier to keep than blue rams. Laetacara and Nannacara would also be alternatives.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I love my Bolivian. He has so much personality. I worried about him getting enough food when I first got him, but I certainly don't have to worry now...he is ferocious at dinner time. He doesn't bother my neons, betta, or cories, but he darts at my baby angels during dinner. He will actually swim with my cories sometimes. He's very cute.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I buy a gbr and see how it does in my tank since it will fit it better and are more colourful to see how the stock is.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bolivians are hardier and easier to care for, I hear. I've had a GBR for 2 months now, no signs of him slowing down, still getting brighter. GBR have more colour I think. I just picked up an electric blue ram from a local breeder today, currently acclimating! He is so blue! lol Going to look awesome when lights go back on tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wanted a ram for my 20 as well, most ppl suggested the bolivians for the above reasons!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

BR are easier to care for, but arent as beautiful. In a 20 gallon you will only be able to get away with one pair. If you put more than that you will likely wake up to dead females, well thats if you go with GBRs. They require "their" space to call their own. Also over filter the heck out of the tank at least 150%, need need perfect water all zeros. Highly recommend using Discus buffer also, but be VERY CAREFULL with it you can cause major problems if you rush it, add very slowly and check ph stability. Good luck with your Rams they are a ton of fun and will get personalities just like Marine fish.

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, bolivian rams, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com