German Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattckf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - I am thinking of getting a couple of German Rams for my 10g tank. I hear that they can be very difficult. Anybody has any experience with these Rams please?
Thanks

Hi - I am thinking of getting a couple of German Rams for my 10g tank. I hear that they can be very difficult. Anybody has any experience with these Rams please?
Thanks

First of all you shouldn't have rams in a 10g. If you are dead set on rams you need atleast a 20g incase they do pair Up and decide to spawn. Check out Bolivian rams, they are hardier than most other rams. Do you know about cycling a tank? Rams have to have a tank that is healthy and well established, they need pristine water conditions. Rams should be the last part of a stock added to a tank.

A 10g is too small for a pair of rams, whether they are German Blues or Bolivians. GBR's should only be added to a mature tank that is about 6 months old. All rams are sensitive to nitrates so large weekly water changes need to be done to keep water pristine.

In a 10g you could do a pair of the smaller Apisto's such as Apistogramma agassizii. They are very small so would be suitable for that size tank. Also you could do up to 6 Scarlet Badis and Red Cherry Shrimp or any of the nano fish like Endlers, Ember Tetras, Dwarf or Pygmy Cory's and several other species.

For permanent living conditions for a breeding pair of gbr I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 20gal. Once my rams are in spawn mode i will sometimes move them to a 10gal to "do the deed"
This all depends on which pair is spawning. Some of mine dont do well being moved, others do.
Most tank bred gbr are hardy but still need good water conditions (low nitrates) and 0 ammonia and nitrites.

Thank you all! Will take your suggestions into consideration

Back
Top Bottom