Gettin me some Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) *updated*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am still having an incredible problem in my tank with hair algae. I have cut down on nutrients going into the tank, have added a phosphate buffer, and still...nothing.

I have heard that Florida/American Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) are amazing hair algae eaters (even better than SAE's who would just get too big and too aggressive for my 20 gallon tank anyway). I went to my lfs yesterday and although they didn't have any, they ordered some for me and they will be in tomorrow!! :multi: :multi:

I am so excited! Although there is limited information about them, everything I read said that they are great at eating the hair algae. I have heard conflicting informatin about aggression, but I will probably get 2 or 3 females as they should be less aggressive and territorial.

I plan on making a picture diary each day. I haven't removed the hair algae for a few days now, so we will be able to really see any progress they make on the hair algae.

Yeah those are great hair algae eaters (Or so I have read), I was going to get some for my pond till I read they can't survive temperatures below 50 F. I believe they are only aggressive when breeding while they protect their eggs, so getting all females is a great idea.

I just got some of those for my hair algae problem and they are miracle workers. I had a clump of xmas moss that was over run with hair algae and they picked it clean in 3 days without harming the moss. I was sure I was going to have to through out all my moss with the algae, but the flag fish saved it. I didn't get any pictures but I'm looking forward to seeing your before and after pics lmw80.

Ok, I got them last night! I couldn't help myself, I got a male and a female!! Since I have heard they can be nippers, I moved my 2 long finned leopard danios to a school of 5 I have in the 46 gallon. They are very happy there.

I acclimated the flagfish and when I put them into the tank, they immediately went to the bottom and hid, motionless. I walked away from the tank for a couple of minutes, and when I came back, they were swimming around. I sat on the edge of my bed and watched them. Less than 5 minutes later, I saw the female eat some hair algae!!!!! :onfire: Soon, the male joined in!!!!

I have a bunch of pics but we had computer problems last night, so hopefully I can re-size them and post them tonight. As of this morning, the hair algae was already noticeably reduced!! (took pics, don't worry!)

What I was not told nor did I read about these guys is that not only do they rest on the gravel motionless, but they squeeze between things and lay somewhat sideways, motionless...I thought I lost the female last night! But when I poked the area around her, she seemed quite upset that I had disturbed her, lol.

The only potential compatibility problem in the tank would me my male blue gourami. Last night he chased them when they got too close, and felt them all over all night with his feelers, lol, which is always extremely amuzing to watch. Good news is that he never nipped them once, so it looks as if it were a territorial dominance thing.

These fish are beautiful. The male's red white and blue colors are amazing. I heard they mate pretty easily, so I am kind of hoping they do! Even if they don't, I am still in love with them!

what other fish do you have in the tank with them? I'm wondering how all these tales of Flags and SAEs go since I would like to add either to my tank.

Looking forward to pictures and updates!

Congrats!

other tank inhabitants (20 gallon long): one male blue gourami, two horseface loaches, one rubberlip pleco, 3 neon tetras (not getting any more neons so that's why there are only 3 (there used to be 10 about a year ago)),many, many snails, lol

My LFS always has flagfish, and they are such beautiful little fish! I've often wanted to get one but I don't have any room in my tanks. :p Can't wait to see the pics of yours.

I have both American-Flag Fish and Siamese Algae Eater (in different tanks) and like them both.

American-Flag Fish (Jordanella floridae) are fantastic fish for eating thread algae and they are beautiful fish besides. I just bought four juveniles recently (two males and two females) which I hope to breed when they get bigger. The male of the species is much more colorful than the female. American-Flag Fish are normally good community fish but they can get aggressive when spawning.

Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are great community fish and are the best fish I have found for controlling black brush algae (BBA). They never get aggressive and are easy to care for.

Another fish that I have found very helpful in controlling the algae that appeared in my African biotope tank is the Dembea Stone Lapper (Garra dembeensis). I had several of my Anubias plants start to develop BBA but when I got one of these fish it just cleaned it up right away. It also eats algae off of other surfaces like glass as well.

Here is a link where you can find information on the various types of algae and the animals that can be used to combat it.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

I hope you find it useful.

if your fish ever breed send me some ok lori?

thanks cause i have the algae on my tank and my 2 otos did great on gobbling that up but i am starting to develop a little hair algae

i think its gross

Just a little off topic: I have never seen hair algae until I set up my platy breeding 10 gal tank. No hair algae in the goldie tank. No hair algae in the tropical tank. No hair algae in the QT -1 (even though I often move the python directly from QT- 2 to QT-1) but lots of hair algae in QT-2 with the platy fry. Only difference I can tell is that I put frozen Baby brine shrimp in the tank with the Hair algae, and was trying to figure out why that would make a difference. Ideas?

I've kept flagfish in the past and they are awesome little fish. They are quite prolific little guys as well. I'd love to get more. Might have to take a trip this weekend to get more. :mrgreen: Congrats on your new fish Lori!

I got some Flag Fish and SAEs from Arizona Aquatic Gardens (www.azgardens.com) last friday. The 6 Flag Fish did great...out of the 24 SAEs...only 1 survived after 5 days (10 DOA....and about 5-6 every day until today).

The Flag Fish are great!! Luckily all of them made it and are eating hair algae like little piggies.

I got some Loaches too...they nicely came contaminiated with Ick...so now I have the Heat/Salt/DE Filtering treatment going for that.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom