Getting a free pleco -- possible to accomodate in my 15 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a free pleco from someone. I know I am asking for too much with my fishload in my 15 gallon.

I have my Emperor 280 filter as spare which I can add for the tank -- I am meticulous with 15-20% water change every week. Will I able to pull it off ??
I can add more plants if needed as well.

Current bioload :
15 Gallon tall FW
Plants - Java moss, 1 Anubias barteri 'coffeefolia', 1 Anubias barteri var. nana,1 Tiger lotus,Ambulia,purple cabomba
6 Bloodfin tetras , 4 julii cory cats, 1 gold mystery snail, Several Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Let me know.

If its a common plec then it will outgrow the tank very quickly. As far as bioload just keep up with water cnahges and have good filtration and youll be fine.

Yes, take a picture if you can. It seems a little big for a 15g though. 6-7 inches would be cramped in that size tank...not to mention if it is going to grow anymore. I say pass on it. :)

it is 6-7 inches right now
the owner doesn't know what kind it is or how big it will get
If it wasn't expensive, then it's a common and it will get big. Tanks do not seem to stunt their growth by much. The biggest problem you will run into is the pleco smacking into things when it tries to turn around.
Current bioload :
15 Gallon tall FW
Plants - Java moss, 1 Anubias barteri 'coffeefolia', 1 Anubias barteri var. nana,1 Tiger lotus,Ambulia,purple cabomba
6 Bloodfin tetras , 4 julii cory cats, 1 gold mystery snail, Several Malaysian Trumpet Snails
With the bioload already in the tank, there is little room physically in the tank for a large pleco.

I doubt, if its already 6- 7 inches then once it gets iin the tank its going to just swell in size on ya in no time, but you can try, if it fails, take him to your LFS as long as he's healthy most stores will take them off your hands for nothing

I had a similar thing happen....a friend "rescued" several fish including a pleco about that size....he already had 2 so I took the pleco, put him in my 30 gal for a short while then brought him to the LFS as I was taking down my 30 and setting up a planted 55.....and the thought of a large pleco in a planted tank is horrifying.....they can really thrash around! My LFS was happy to take him and gave me $4.50 in store credit.

you can try algae waffers from your lfs, but my pleco, or even a small snail stowaway seem to eat them, apparently it works for some people

Back
Top Bottom