Getting a little bit discouraged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a 55 i cycled it for around three months with a goldfish then I added plants and removed the goldfish so it didn't eat anything. I then did a large water change and then added the fish. It seems I may have overdosed excel accidentally It only is killing swordtails and had no effect on my shark or black phantom tetra. The shark jumped out of a filter cut out in the glass canopy and missed a bucket of water by about two inches.
The excel isnt the problem. I dosed 30ml daily in my 55g.

If you're showing 0ppm Nitrate then you have ammonia. Doing 10g water changes isn't anywhere near enough to remove the ammonia in the tank. I would do daily 50% changes until you can get an ammonia tester.

Ok thanks I had no idea I thought my tank was fully cycled. The weird thing is that only the new swordtails are dying.

You need to invest in an API fresh water Master Kit... Go to petsmart or Petco and get one of those.. The test sticks suck... They are decent in a way where they generally give you an idea but they are usually always off. Plus you don't have an Ammonia test... If you have 0 nitrates then that means your ammonia is probably really high. In tank that is cycled.. you will always have nitrates..

So yea get the API master kit and test all the ammonia/nitrite and nitrates... and shake the nitrate bottles for 60 seconds.. then shake the tube for 60 seconds... Also don't use the end caps on the tubes I found they leak when you shake.. and anything that leaks can dilute or cause too much solution in the bottle... Just put a clean finger over the end and shake it.

I bet you your ammonia is really high and that's why yours fish are dying and jumping out of the tank... If you do have ammonia.. raise the tank temperature to around 82-84f to help the bacteria grow faster..

Oh and overdosing excel doesn't do anything.. in fact its good for killing algae overdosing lol..

What kind of filter do you have on the tank and what is the temperature.. also don't clean the filters if you have been let them sit until your tank is cycled... and even then let them sit for another month or two.. to allow the Bacteria to grow in the tank more.. otherwise if you clean your filters youll just slow down and start the cycle over again

Ok, the tank temp is 75 degrees I'll turn it up gradually and I've been adding the filter pads from my established tank into the filter. Would it be bad to add the foam pad your not supposed to change to the 55 tank or would that harm my other tank?

If you arent testing, then there is no way to tell what is wrong. I doubt the excel did it as its pretty harmless. There is a couple things to consider with this..........first would be a water test as any ammonia or nitrite will cause death in fish.

Next, where did you buy the fish? Livebearers from places like large chain pet food stores usually are ill or diseased after being in those stores only a day or so. They have all their tanks on one filtering system with no regard to ammonia, nitrite, etc. If one fish is sick, they all get it. Then you purchase them and they are stressed from the transfer to your tank, and most dont make it. Its best to find a fish only store with their tanks on separate filters.

I know testing water may seem like too much work, but its easy and really can help you pinpoint areas you need to focus on for the healthiest tank. I suggest the api master test kit and its like 30 bucks.

Ok I will invest in the api test kit asap. I'm buying my fish from a newly set up petco. It's really my only close lfs.

Or I'm going to at least get the api ammonia liquid tester.

Or I'm going to at least get the api ammonia liquid tester.

If you can shop on Amazon then get the API FW Master Test Kit. It is about $22. Buying the individual kits costs more. For instance, I only needed to get a Nitrate Test Kit and it as $8.99. The master kit comes with Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and pH High test kits.
If it is an issue with cycling, you will want to test all three (Amm/trite/trate).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shipping takes about a week where I live and I don't know if my tank will last that long. The test strips I have test for nitrates and nitrites ( though not accurate) so if my over charges to a lot for the master kit I will just get the ammonia one or some type of ammonia tester.

You don't have any fish in there right now?

If you do, don't raise the temp. It increases the toxicity of the ammonia. For more on that phenomenon look up the affect of pH and temp on ammonia toxicity.

Raising the temp fishless is a good idea but not fish-in.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Oh ok thank you very much I will go lower it to 75 again

Shipping takes about a week where I live and I don't know if my tank will last that long. The test strips I have test for nitrates and nitrites ( though not accurate) so if my over charges to a lot for the master kit I will just get the ammonia one or some type of ammonia tester.

The API master test kit qualifies for Amazon Prime with free shipping. Not sure if this still applies for AL.
Regardless of what you get, just keep up with the water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another thing that just occurred to me was about your rainbow shark. These are very active fish and a 48 inch tank is recommended. Same goes for red tails. I know he flew the coop, but consider it before replacing him.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone, my tank isn't going nearly as smooth as I had hoped. I understand how cycling works but I guess I don't know as much about fish keeping as I had thought.

Back
Top Bottom