Getting annoyed at my LFS, but I should really do more research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I now have a bushy pleco which I was told would be great for removing the algae in my tank and off my driftwood. After watching him I decided to read up more and found he will primarily just wreck my plants and isn't even that great for algae.
After discussing this with a other worker there he suggested a silver flying fox. Again I was somehow talked out of Otto's, and though the fish is pretty cool and has somehow become the lord humongous of my zebra tets he does nothing for my algae.

So when I went to them again (I don't learn) I saw bumblebee goby's and fell in love. My ONLY question was "will they eat flakes" and the guy said yes.
Well that was a lie...... Does anyone know how to get these guys to eat?

I really don't want to have to start dumping money into all sorts of different foods because I've read these guys are REALLY picky eaters.

Or should I simply go to the store and say the employee misinformed me and try to get them to trade me different fish?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had three bumblebee gobies and I managed to get them all to eat. The first thing I would recommend is to put them into a smaller tank (like the one seen in the video) since it'll increase the chance that the goby will actually see the food.

In general, they like to catch their food floating by in the water. I started with frozen brine shrimp and then switched to frozen mysis. The key is to have some sort of current to keep the food floating in the water. You could probably get them on pellets but the problem is that I don't think there are any pellets that don't either sink right to the bottom or float at the surface.

Then once you've gotten them to eat you can move them back to your main tank. Hope this helps.

Joseph Granata

What about the gel blood worms? Think if I placed that down where they were they would pick off it?

I feel like they wouldn't go for that... But there's no harm in trying! I don't know if you've ever fed frozen food or not but it's really not as much work as you'd think. If you want to try getting them into something easier to feed (such as the gel bloodworms you mentioned), just be sure to have frozen mysis/brine/etc. on hand so they don't starve until you succeed.

Joseph Granata

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty good lfs in my area, however, that is only because of a couple very knowledgable employees who only work there because they want too (not for the income).
Bottom line.. Do your own research before you buy. The employees are employed at most lfs's to sell things, their job is to get you to spend money. Combine this with the fact that, often times, they're being paid minimum wage, therefore it's difficult for the lfs to employ truly knowledgeable people.

On a side note, many people think flying foxes are the same as Siamese algae eaters, but they only look very similar. When it comes to algae, the Siamese algae water is an amazing at taking care of algae. The flying fox, not so much.
Most people assume all plecos are great algae eaters, when in fact there are two species of plecos that are actually carnivors. Again, the employee possibly took a couple hour class or was given some pamphlets to read for training and has little knowledge outside of that.

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty good lfs in my area, however, that is only because of a couple very knowledgable employees who only work there because they want too (not for the income).
Bottom line.. Do your own research before you buy. The employees are employed at most lfs's to sell things, their job is to get you to spend money. Combine this with the fact that, often times, they're being paid minimum wage, therefore it's difficult for the lfs to employ truly knowledgeable people.

On a side note, many people think flying foxes are the same as Siamese algae eaters, but they only look very similar. When it comes to algae, the Siamese algae water is an amazing at taking care of algae. The flying fox, not so much.
Most people assume all plecos are great algae eaters, when in fact there are two species of plecos that are actually carnivors. Again, the employee possibly took a couple hour class or was given some pamphlets to read for training and has little knowledge outside of that.
+1

But you also have to do quality research. The bristle nose pleco for example, okay for some algae but definitely doesnt wreck plants.

I had three bumblebee gobies and I managed to get them all to eat. The first thing I would recommend is to put them into a smaller tank (like the one seen in the video) since it'll increase the chance that the goby will actually see the food.

In general, they like to catch their food floating by in the water. I started with frozen brine shrimp and then switched to frozen mysis. The key is to have some sort of current to keep the food floating in the water. You could probably get them on pellets but the problem is that I don't think there are any pellets that don't either sink right to the bottom or float at the surface.

Then once you've gotten them to eat you can move them back to your main tank. Hope this helps.

Joseph Granata

I have a small plan if I can keep them alive long enough. My co worker just said he had a couple and he loved them FOR THE 2 WEEKS they lived before starving to death.

I was thinking of getting some more cherry shrimp and hoping for breeders that might eventually create fry for them to pick off. maybe even getting a second platy or molly that could hopefully create fry as well.

I cant unfortunately add a smaller second tank, so Im going to have to take my chances.

Also I did see one snap at one of my smaller pond snails. Are they capable of actually crushing the shells and or sucking them out?
He snapped and then swam off tho.

+1

But you also have to do quality research. The bristle nose pleco for example, okay for some algae but definitely doesnt wreck plants.
Totally agree. I keep and breed bristlenose and they don't tear up plants at all IME.

Good to know on the plants..... As I watch him eat off my val lol

Got my gobies ate the frozen worms. One was spitting them out but eventually downed a couple. Also turns out half a cube is way to much for my tank so they will last me quite a while.

Good to know on the plants..... As I watch him eat off my val lol

Got my gobies ate the frozen worms. One was spitting them out but eventually downed a couple. Also turns out half a cube is way to much for my tank so they will last me quite a while.

Just because he's sitting on the plants doesn't means he's eating them. At one point I kept 5 plecos in my tank including 3 bristle nose and they always hung out on my broad leaved plants. Never did any damage whatsoever to them.

If he's actively eating them, then he's likely starving.

Good to know thanks :). He's also FINALLY found the top of my driftwood. I've started to like him and can't wait for it to get grown more and get some whiskers.
Trust me he won't starve in that tank lol, plus I freeze assorted veggies to drop in occasionally. Its zuccini night tonight!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great, sounds like you've got feeding down. If your pleco turns out to be female, it won't get the big bristles.

Well, I've got bumblebee gobies at home as well. I'm keeping them in brackish water btw. In there they live up much longer than in freshwater. I never had problems with feeding them. Overhere they eat waste of food. And I also feed them tablets of all kinds. They do perfectly overhere. And I've kept those fish for many years now. From time to time I put a piece of cucumber in there and they'll eat it.

Back
Top Bottom