Getting back into fish-equipment frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlotteda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a rough Spring with the death of my Dad. Been thinking about setting my 29 G tank up again. Husband meant well and made a spontaneous decision to buy me a new tank setup at "Petsmart":ermm: I know, I know.

We bought the 37 gallon kit. Same footprint as the 30, 4 more inches of water and on sale $50 less than the 30. So grateful that I did not give full price. Replaced the filter right away-didnt even unpack it - I got a AquaClear 50 Power Filter.

The hood with this think is a joke :eek: but the LED lights were cute. Have to take the whole thing off to access the tank. So I ordered another hood from Amazon that had hinges. Marineland LED Light Hood, 30-Inch by 12-Inch - at least it fits but its a joke as well ! Now I have packed that thing up to return.

Went to garage and got out my old florescent hood with the access panel that lifts and it has a detached light strip. My problem is that the weird support brace in the middle of my tank keeps the hood from fitting down inside like it should. I am hoping to shim it up somehow to make it work better. I also think the light needs replaced as it looks a little dim and weird. (It has been in the garage for 12 years).

Hindsight is 20/20 and I cant take the Petsmart kit back. My goal was a lightly stocked community tank to enjoy. I put in a couple of danios? about a month ago. Added 2 platys yesterday.

Any suggestions on dealing with my equipment issues will be greatly appeciated.
Thanks Charlotte

I have been using the Aqueon Delux LED full hood for a year now and it's holding up well. It comes with one bulb and you can add a second.

Good idea on the HOB filter, the stock ones are junk. I would still keep it as a back up just in case. I don't really have any recommendations for a light hood, hopefully someone else can help you with that a bit more!

I originally had the Fluval Accent kit. Earlier this year I upgraded everything to where the only stock things left were the glass tank and the stand. If you are wanting to get away from the hoods (increases oxygen exposure with an open tank), Finnex makes great lights and so does Current. Both have timers which is nice. I have the Current Satellite Pro+ and love it (expensive though). As your probably know, I would cycle your tank first.

I love tetra colonies so I would always suggest that (maybe 15 Cardinal or Nean tetras?). You could also have some guppies as well, and a small pleco. You can also add some low tech plants to have a more natural setting. Just be careful with the fish from Petco and Petsmart. They usually have ich or flukes so QT'ing them may be best. Maybe add some snails too?

Back
Top Bottom