Getting back to the correct guppy ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the middle of stocking my 36G Freshwater Community. I now have some frogs, group of corys, snails, zebra danios, and guppies. I started with 3 female and 2 male guppies, unfortunately 2 of the female guppies have died in the past month. I also have a fully cycled 10g tank for new inhabitants. In order for me to get back up to the 2 female for every 1 male guppy ratio, should I add new guppies straight to the display tank? Or quarantine them first, maybe move the last female into the quarantine tank so she's not by herself during the quarantine time?

Guppies

I'm in the middle of stocking my 36G Freshwater Community. I now have some frogs, group of corys, snails, zebra danios, and guppies. I started with 3 female and 2 male guppies, unfortunately 2 of the female guppies have died in the past month. I also have a fully cycled 10g tank for new inhabitants. In order for me to get back up to the 2 female for every 1 male guppy ratio, should I add new guppies straight to the display tank? Or quarantine them first, maybe move the last female into the quarantine tank so she's not by herself during the quarantine time?

Hello fish...

You don't need to buy male Guppies, just females. The females will be pregnant when you get them. Provide pure water conditions, plenty of floating plants and some frozen foods. You'll have fry in a matter of weeks, if not days. Then, you'll have your male Guppies.

Select females with good color, fins, rounded body, no skin blemishes, clear eyes and active in the tank. Make sure there are no dead fish or plants in that pet shop tank. You'll get a healthy fish and it shouldn't require a quarantine period.

Add a bit a standard aquarium salt to the tank water. It has a calming affect on the new fish and strengthens their immune system. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons is sufficient and change half the tank water at least every 2 weeks. Perform these tasks and your Livebearers will be healthy and strong.

B

Thanks for the detailed reply. When I do buy the new female guppies, should I put them directly into the display tank, or quarantine first? If I quarantined the new females, the 1 remaining female guppy will be with the 2 males for the length of the quarantine, unless I move that 1 remaining female into the quarantine with the 2 new female guppies.

I would put the lone female you have in the main tank with the new ones you get in the QT tank. The two male guppies can harass one lone female to the point of stress and sickness. OS.

Don't salt the tank, corys and inverts (snails) are known not to like or tolerate salt.

I have a 3-1 guppy ratio, which is what i've read is best.

You're also always better to QT fish if you have the means.

As above, add the old female with the new ones in QC to stop her being harassed by sexually frustrated males :lol:

The same thing happened to me :( my female was being harassed to the point I put her in a 5 gallon tank with my female betta. Thankfully they are fine together till I get some new females this weekend! The males will stop at nothing to get at the female.

For some reason i lost 4 female in the space of a few days a couple weeks back and i was freaking out, i replaced them asap, managed to get some gorgeous cobra's

All female guppies in quarantine it is.

And thanks Trooper for the ideas on Cobras, very pretty fish. As far as the 2 female to 1 male ratio is concerned, do you consider endlers and cobras into this count? example: 2 male fancy guppies, 2 female endlers, 2 female cobras...is this ok?

I honestly don't know about the endlers. But if you look around you can find some really braw females.

Guppies and Salt

Thanks for the detailed reply. When I do buy the new female guppies, should I put them directly into the display tank, or quarantine first? If I quarantined the new females, the 1 remaining female guppy will be with the 2 males for the length of the quarantine, unless I move that 1 remaining female into the quarantine with the 2 new female guppies.

Hello again fish...

You should first set up the tank for your Guppies. They prefer thick floating plants, so there is plenty of room for escape from the males. If you have the surface planted properly, the female and the future fry will have many places to hide. Anacharis or Common water weed is best. Hornwort and Pennywort are also good. Some others are Water wisteria and Water sprite.

If you select your fish carefully as I mentioned earlier, you don't need to set up a separate tank and wait until you think they're okay to put into the main tank. I use the drip method to acclimate the new fish and turn the tank lights out for a few minutes after putting in the fish. They like to be fed right after the lights come back on, so they concentrate on feeding instead of the newcomer.

Contrary to popular belief, Corydoras aren't salt sensitive provided you keep the dose to no more than a teaspoon or so for every 5 gallons of new tank water. I keep many Corydoras in the same tanks and some of those fish are 5 and 6 years old. I've always kept the salt dose low and the fish and plants are fine.

You do what you feel is best.

B

Back
Top Bottom