Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Getting Lime Deposits Off Aquarium Equipment

Does anyone know what the best stuff is for getting those dreaded, awful, white crunchy lime deposits off the glass surfaces of the aquarium and plastic surfaces of the HOB filters? For whatever reason -- must be my water supply to blame -- during evaporation, the back glass of my tank plus the edges of the trim as well as all the plastic (especially the covers) on my filters all get that nasty, thick lime coating that comes off in crystalized chunks if you scrape at it. The problem is, no matter what I use -- steaming hot water, chemicals like 409 (not on the glass or near the water, just to clean off the lids of the filters by the sink) -- some of these deposits just won't come off; it seems like a lot of them are "baked" into and onto the plastic of the filters as well as onto the black plastic of my fluorescent strip light.

As soon as I'm done wiping the hard, crusty deposits off, they almost instantly reappear on my Aqueon filter's cover and the AquaClear 110's cover -- and they're totally all over the glass lids that cover the tank...especially the plastic insert "ends" that face the back of the tank...I cannot get the deposits off those at all.

Is there any chemical I can get or is there a trick that will get rid of the lime deposits? Should I begin looking at putting purified water in my tank instead of the dechlorinated tap? I know API makes some kind of "aquarium cleaner" fluid of some kind, but does this work?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also would like to know how. Subscribed

Old 06-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Soaking in vinegar will work, rinse well afterwards.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
Soaking in vinegar will work, rinse well afterwards.
I agree, that's all I've ever used in my aquarium and it works great.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

White vinegar is the answer.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

White vinegar is the answer, but some scrubbing may be required once the vinegar softens the deposits.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Thank you for your replies, everyone!

I've read about the white vinegar method; the thing is, we get these crusty, flaky, crystalized deposits on everything -- the plastic of the HOB filters, the rim of the tank, the back of the wooden stand...can I use the vinegar method to clean most of these surfaces? In other words, can I scrub the tops of the filters to get the crud off as well as the other areas, and with the filters, what's the best way of going about cleaning them? Do I need to dissolve the vinegar in water first?

Is it normal for some of these deposits to be so baked on that they're kind of embedded in the material already? For example, the plastics of our filters seem to have these embedded stains from the deposits so bad, no matter how I scrub or even if I use boiling hot water on them, they reappear after a little while of cleaning them, as if they're always there, embedded in the plastic...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try soaking over night the parts that have crud imbedded in them.
If you have a bubble wand or any kind of bubble producing device in your tank I suggest you remove it for a while and see if you still get all those lime deposits everywhere.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxhua View Post
Try soaking over night the parts that have crud imbedded in them.
Thanks Dax -- do you mean like the filter covers?

Quote:
If you have a bubble wand or any kind of bubble producing device in your tank I suggest you remove it for a while and see if you still get all those lime deposits everywhere.
Can you explain to me why this would be? Could the aeration be causing the deposits?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #10

I use straight vinegar and though smelly and of course needs to dry and air before going near fish seems to work for me. Even on nasty used old aquariums from Craigslist lol

Tags
aquarium, deposits, equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com